Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 10:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN]
RE: Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN]
(June 14, 2016 at 10:42 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: [...]But "fucking terrible" and "bad writing"?  I disagree strongly. [...]

Yeah... No - it was pretty f*cking terrible.

The main problem is, that the show has been dragging the Faceless Men plot since season 2 - building up expectations. At least the Dorne abortion lasted for less than 2 seasons, before it's nonsensical, rushed conclusion. Arya's Bravos plot was a snooze-fest at the best of times, but there was hope, that it will be redeemed, by some awesome twist, or revelation at the end. But no - we just got another pointless struggle of the protagonist against a psychotic, sadistic bully.

Obviously the writers realized, that this kind of easy to understand plot worked before, with Sansa and Joffrey and then Sansa and Ramsey and few other times in between. So - in the absence of the next book to take cues from - they again went with this fake, cliche conflict with the Waif, in order to finish off the Bravos plot in the most predictable, boring and pointless way - with some running, rolling, hacking and slashing to placate the less demanding viewers. Because it's time to have Arya back in Westeros, I guess. Exactly the same move, they pulled off with Sansa when she needed to somehow end up in the North - they made Littlefinger idiotically give her to Ramsey, so the audience could enjoy her being in distress again, since that seemed to strike a note before. Boring, predictable, lazy writing...

Some of my questions, the answers to which we'll almost certainly never get on the show:

Why were the Faceless Men interested in Arya at all, despite her screw-ups and obvious inability to get rid of her past and her identity?

What did most of the mystical nonsense spewed by the inhabitants of the House of Black and White mean?

What skills did Arya acquire during her training? The last time she spoke to Jaqen, before quitting, she was told she was not ready to wear a face, so what can she do - other than peel one off of a dead body, apparently?

Why did the Waif passionately hate Arya?

Why did Arya think, she could f*ck over a guild of assassins and get away with parading unarmed in the streets?

Why did Jaqen allow for his subordinates to bleed each other in full public view?

Why doesn't anyone else in Bravos ever react to Arya being beaten/murdered?

If the Waif beating blind Arya was supposed to be Faceless Men training - how come the Waif herself is not very good at fighting in the dark? She's clearly more advanced than Arya in her training, if not a fully-fledged assassin.

Why didn't the Waif finish Arya after stabbing her in the stomach? Why didn't she fish out her body, in order to retrieve her face, at the very least?

Why didn't the Faceless Men kill Lady Crane immediately after Arya f*cked the job up, but instead waited until Arya healed from her abdominal stab-wound, enough to be able to parkour around town? I mean - if simply clubbing the actress brutally to death and wrapping her around a chair was always an option - why wait? And anyway - the dumb b*tch was STILL drinking from her f*cking bottle - I guess she didn't understand the concept of poison - so the Waif could have just done the same thing Arya did.

I could go on, but what's the point? At least that crappy plot is over and done with and we can try to forget about it, at least until the next book comes out. But it's kind of sad, that the show writers feel the need to dumb down the plots to such an extent, making people act out of character, in order to advance the plot and make it transparent to the widest audience. Oh, well - the price of popularity, I guess...
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Messages In This Thread
RE: Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] - by Homeless Nutter - June 14, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Captain Marvel movie w/ spoilers Rahn127 0 364 March 9, 2019 at 2:04 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  I wan't to express, that I disliked Rick and Morty season 3 Der/die AtheistIn 38 2702 February 6, 2019 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  'Tis the Season (almost) -- your favorite Nativity photos here! Jehanne 38 2990 December 27, 2018 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Upcoming movie movie trailer discussion Alex K 50 6335 October 22, 2018 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Video Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] SteelCurtain 357 68397 January 28, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  X-Files season 11 (maybe) Foxaèr 10 1962 January 26, 2018 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
Tongue Let's talk Black Mirror season 4 Aoi Magi 23 3873 January 15, 2018 at 9:35 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Which is the best survivor season? ErGingerbreadMandude 4 1082 October 22, 2017 at 9:34 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Game of Thrones Season 7 trailer, "The Long Walk" Aegon 3 950 March 30, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Do not watch the movie, "The Arrival" because it is pro-life propaganda. {Spoilers} Foxaèr 21 5091 February 6, 2017 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda