Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 5:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN]
RE: Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN]
(June 29, 2016 at 1:05 pm)pocaracas Wrote: That's what happens when TV-show writers take over from a huge book project... while trying no to spoil too much in one season.

LOL. They were not trying to avoid spoilers - the writers had no idea where to go with the stories, without the next book to rely upon for clever writing and plot twists. The first half of this season, at least, everyone was just turning in circles, doing pretty much the same things they were doing at the end of season 5, delaying the need for story development. Arya kept defying the Faceless Men - just like in season 5. Cersei was preparing was for her trial. The Sparrow dude was preoccupied exclusively with the trials of 3 people, as far as we know - just like in season 5. Daenerys - still getting ready to go to Westeros. And so on.
Characters, who should have known better were doing dumb things, for no reason, just to facilitate the next predictable event - because we all knew, that Jon was going to come back to life, Rickon was going to die, Jon was going to take Winterfell, Sansa and the Knights of the Vale would save the day. And that Cersei was going to use wildfire. We knew it all at least a week, but usually more - before it happened(despite none of that stuff being in the books). We might have hoped for something less cliche, but those were the most obvious options, as well as the easiest ones to write.

We didn't know, that the Dorne plot was going to play out the way it did, but that's just because that was a complete hack-job and made absolutely no sense.

(June 29, 2016 at 1:05 pm)pocaracas Wrote: AH!!! Jon and Dany...?
Why not Euron and Dany? Tongue

Euron does seem like her type - he's a brute and a warmonger - like Khal Drogo, and also crude, cynical, opportunistic and a psychopath - like Dario.
But we all know that's not going to happen, because you can't have a mainstream TV show, where in the end the princess doesn't end up with "Mr. Perfect"... Undecided

(June 29, 2016 at 1:05 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Or, better yet, Petyr Baelish and Dany? See how quick he ditches Sansa, when he sees Dany! Tongue

TV show Baelish has nothing to offer Daenerys. In the books - he's been working for years, getting half the noble families in Westeros in his pocket. Remember all that Bank of Bravos, demanding money from the Crown? Yeah - in the books that actually seemed to matter. On the show - Littlefinger doesn't seem to know what he's doing. He controls Robin's army, but he's not a military leader and not even a real lord. The best he could do is offer his ward Robin Arryn, as a match for Dany.

(June 29, 2016 at 1:05 pm)pocaracas Wrote: We know that dragon glass can kill the whitewalkers.... we know that Valyrian steel can kill them, too.
Dragon fire should produce a similar effect.
So, it should be a burn them all thing, in the end.[...]

That will be a terribly disappointing, boring ending - for me anyway. GRRM is anti-war and tends to break the stereotypes in his work - the heroes in his books are often characters similar to Varys, or Davos, not a dark handsome, violent emo, with a curvy blonde on his arm. Sure - the show creators might go there, because they're hacks, who think they have to appeal to the lowest common denominator, and in their opinion their audience are morons. But I think many viewers will not be easily placated with a few explosions in place of an interesting story...

The 2 things I don't care to see on GOT - Clegane (or any other) Bowl and dragons fighting White Walkers... Yeah - it's "Ice and Fire". That's not even symbolism at this point - just actual ice and actual fire. Ugh...

I'm sorry - I made a mistake of reading too much when I was a kid, instead of watching TV, so I have trouble keeping my expectations in check. Tongue
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Messages In This Thread
RE: Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] - by Homeless Nutter - June 29, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Captain Marvel movie w/ spoilers Rahn127 0 364 March 9, 2019 at 2:04 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  I wan't to express, that I disliked Rick and Morty season 3 Der/die AtheistIn 38 2701 February 6, 2019 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  'Tis the Season (almost) -- your favorite Nativity photos here! Jehanne 38 2990 December 27, 2018 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Upcoming movie movie trailer discussion Alex K 50 6335 October 22, 2018 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Video Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] SteelCurtain 357 68392 January 28, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  X-Files season 11 (maybe) Foxaèr 10 1961 January 26, 2018 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
Tongue Let's talk Black Mirror season 4 Aoi Magi 23 3873 January 15, 2018 at 9:35 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Which is the best survivor season? ErGingerbreadMandude 4 1082 October 22, 2017 at 9:34 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Game of Thrones Season 7 trailer, "The Long Walk" Aegon 3 950 March 30, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Do not watch the movie, "The Arrival" because it is pro-life propaganda. {Spoilers} Foxaèr 21 5091 February 6, 2017 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda