Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 6:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is There a Difference Between Trusting Scientists and Trusting Preachers?
RE: Is There a Difference Between Trusting Scientists and Trusting Preachers?
(July 14, 2016 at 12:57 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(July 14, 2016 at 12:28 pm)SteveII Wrote: I will clarify since this has become disjointed.
You're not clarifying, you're trying to split the baby - and that's fine...but that -is- what I'm asking you about.

Quote:1. If a religious belief conflicts with a scientific fact, it should be discarded. Scientific fact can disprove a religious claim if the religious claim is making statements about the natural world--how the world is. (for example: world is center of the universe, sickness is a judgement from God, the earth is 6000 years old, and other traditional god-of-the-gaps beliefs that have been dismissed). 
2. Scientific facts have no bearing on the possibility of supernatural causes because claims of supernatural causes do not make claims about the natural world. In fact, when weighing whether a supernatural event happened, we rely on science to tell us if a natural cause is possible/probable.]
b-mine.

Then there's no need to reference a metric that you do not accept as applicable.  You have not done so, you've simply termed those contradictory narratives "supernatural" and so exempt from the criteria that -you- proposed.  The one cannot be consistently maintained in the face of the other.  So which should we do, and why, again.....?

The trouble doesn't end there, ofc.

The world -is- the center of the universe, supernaturally.
Sickness -is- a judgement from god, supernaturally.
The earth -is- 6000 years old, supernaturally.

You cannot consistently dismiss these, unless your opinion on the exemption of the supernatural is abandoned and we re-assume the previously abandoned metrics.

Not only are you proposing inconsistent metrics, you're inconsistently -applying- them.  It's all a hot fucking mess and there's no point to it whatsoever.  You have not done what you propose should be done, and that's okay..because, according to your own comments, it cannot -be- done.  You don't believe in the silly shit™, but it's not for the rationalizations presented to us here.

I understand your point. I will think about it and respond later. Right now I should be working.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is There a Difference Between Trusting Scientists and Trusting Preachers? - by SteveII - July 14, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scientists detect mystery radio signal from nearby star Foxaèr 20 3702 August 13, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Differences between women and men. Little lunch 49 4901 August 11, 2016 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Liberal Christain Scientists puzzle me! TheMonster 13 3369 July 13, 2015 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
Brick The genetic similarity between man and Cambanzy Is it true? king krish 34 6758 December 30, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Scientists are FUN! bennyboy 0 722 June 24, 2014 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Rank the top best scientists of all time. Of all time. [so far] Autumnlicious 28 9960 October 5, 2012 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Scientists on trial Epimethean 20 3910 October 4, 2011 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: LunchBox
  Scientists circumvent heisenbergs uncertainty principle downbeatplumb 1 3180 June 7, 2011 at 9:12 am
Last Post: lilphil1989
  Shamans and Scientists Tabby 28 12776 July 10, 2009 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Purple Rabbit
  ''Yes, Scientists believe in God''. CoxRox 44 16865 December 28, 2008 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc