Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 25, 2024, 12:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is There a Difference Between Trusting Scientists and Trusting Preachers?
RE: Is There a Difference Between Trusting Scientists and Trusting Preachers?
(July 18, 2016 at 4:49 pm)SteveII Wrote: I just answered Rhythm:

Because science is always subject to change (and often does).

As we discover new things, yes, the science does change. This is called "learning," and if you find it to be a problem with science, then I literally do not know how to respond to such insipid statements.

Quote: To make a statement like "my theology will change as science proposes new theories" is even worse.

So in response, you'd prefer to make the statement, "my theology will not change, no matter what we learn." I'm baffled that you feel this is an improvement.

Quote: It has to be a case by case basis. Is x scientific theory compatible with y theological concept? Perhaps we need to adjust our theological understanding because new facts come to light.

But you've already stated that there is no X that will ever prompt you to abandon Y completely, which renders the whole discussion moot. If you won't allow science, which is nothing more than a method of decoding the world based on observations, to sway your outlook, if you're holding theology to be, at its core, inviolable, then what does it matter? You're just paying lip service to learning shit around the periphery of your worldview, while disregarding observations in favor of your own presupposed solipsism at the core.

What matters here isn't what the data would probabilistically lead to, but rather what you want to be true. So why bother holding your theology up in comparison to anything you experience?

Quote: My caution is scientific theories. By necessity, they presuppose naturalism and as such may be wrong--especially if a theological concept requires God's interaction with nature. 

First of all, this statement is largely circular: the science doesn't think you're right, but if you're right, then the science is wrong. Pretty big "if" there.

Secondly, science takes methodological naturalism as an axiom because it has to, but that just restricts it methods to those things that can be reliably detected, with sources that can be discovered. If your god was detectable- detectability being the thing you would need to rationally hold belief in god - then that would be within the purview of science. Seems to me like you just want to skip the rational steps and presuppose your god is involved while avoiding any talk of actually detecting that, which... I'd love to know why you think that's a reasonable justification for disregarding science.

Quote:No, ontologically speaking, core theological beliefs have nothing at all to do with "god of the gaps". They have to do with specific revelation as to the purpose of the universe, God's place in it, our place in it, the relationship between God and man, and eschatology. 

From everything you've said thus far, I'm feeling pretty correct about putting the god of the gaps right at the center of your core theology. You've already said you're willing to just assume your god is involved in whatever processes science describes, after all: that's the gap you're putting your god into. "My god does that, you just can't detect it." He's all warm and safe from falsifiability, but that's all you're really doing.

Quote:I'm sure they do. 

I think Gen 1 was not written to be taken literal. Gen is not a science book. The beginning of Gen is older than the rest and has a different style. It is sufficient to tell bronze age people that the world has an origin and a purpose and monotheism is true (as apposed to other cultures who had polytheistic roots and varied creation stories).

I don't know how Adam and Eve fit in (and when). I believe there was a literal Adam and Eve because Jesus and Paul spoke of a literal Adam. 

The fact that what I call core and what other call core beliefs may be different is just to point out the nature of any complex belief system. If you think I am mis-characterizing common protestant theology, please tell me where.

I'm not asking you what you believe, I'm asking you why you think what you believe deserves to be called core theology, while less common beliefs that differ from your own do not. What is the metric you're using to separate the core theology from the optional theology?

That question reveals the problem: you don't have a metric for that, do you? You have a list of things you think belong in the correct category, and a list of things that don't, but no actual criteria for determining which is which, because it really just boils down to those things you already believe, and those things you don't... am I wrong?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is There a Difference Between Trusting Scientists and Trusting Preachers? - by Esquilax - July 18, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scientists detect mystery radio signal from nearby star Silver 20 4093 August 13, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Differences between women and men. Little lunch 49 5885 August 11, 2016 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Liberal Christain Scientists puzzle me! TheMonster 13 3727 July 13, 2015 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
Brick The genetic similarity between man and Cambanzy Is it true? king krish 34 7523 December 30, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Scientists are FUN! bennyboy 0 768 June 24, 2014 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Rank the top best scientists of all time. Of all time. [so far] Autumnlicious 28 10335 October 5, 2012 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Scientists on trial Epimethean 20 4258 October 4, 2011 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: LunchBox
  Scientists circumvent heisenbergs uncertainty principle downbeatplumb 1 3234 June 7, 2011 at 9:12 am
Last Post: lilphil1989
  Shamans and Scientists Tabby 28 13427 July 10, 2009 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Purple Rabbit
  ''Yes, Scientists believe in God''. CoxRox 44 17722 December 28, 2008 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc