Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 7:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried?
RE: Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried?
(September 3, 2016 at 5:17 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(September 3, 2016 at 3:26 am)Aractus Wrote: You cannot reformulate the Sermon on the Mount from James, it is substantially different and includes other areas of Jesus's teachings that are consistent with but not included in that sermon. What's most important of all is that almost nothing in James is found in the gospel of Mark at all.

Wait, you went from Matthew to Mark here.

No I didn't, I merely made the point that James's theology & teachings is not based on the gospel of Mark , the gospel of Mark being the earliest gospel.

(September 3, 2016 at 5:17 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: And now to Luke?

You shouldn't have any problem with following what I'm saying. The Sermon on the Mount is found exclusively in the gospel of Matthew. James's epistle is based more on that one sermon than anything else. The Gospel of Luke contains the Sermon on the Plain which is similar to, but different from, the Sermon on the Mount.

(September 3, 2016 at 5:17 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: That's kinda my point. It's not like they had tape recorders back then, and it's not like any putative authors had recordings to work from. So the idea that they could work with notes from one, or several, iterations of the same essential speech, seems pretty understandable to me.

Well yes, but they didn't have to have notes at all (it could have been transmitted orally to James), and nothing suggests that Jesus himself used written notes in his preachings - he simply remembered his sermons and delivered them to his audiences.

(September 3, 2016 at 5:17 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: So what? He could simply be promulgating ideas he found nice enough without crediting the speaker, and even so Matthew, from other sources, could have found verbiage similar enough to regard James as useful, too -- corroboration in his own mind.

You are missing the point. James has knowledge about one specific sermon, or so it seems, and he is ignorant of anything Jesus taught that is recorded in Mark, and most of the rest of the stuff that is in Matthew/Luke as well. In fact, if we didn't have the Sermon on the Mount and the Sermon on the Plain in Matthew and Luke respectively then it would like like James came up with his teachings from Judaism and not from Jesus.

(September 3, 2016 at 5:17 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Your underlying assumption seems to be perfect knowledge on the part of the authors of the Gospels, and that seems pretty questionable, to me.

I'm not sure where you get that from, which is why I put "Mark" and "Matthew" in inverted commas...
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? - by Aractus - September 3, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2269 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1087 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Jesus wants passionate christians purplepurpose 3 668 April 1, 2023 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why is Jesus Circumcised and not the rest of the christians ? Megabullshit 23 5435 February 9, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6389 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? Firefighter01 0 506 August 31, 2016 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Firefighter01
Video The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work Mental Outlaw 1346 255365 July 2, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Why I hate Right Wing Christians bussta33 31 6374 April 16, 2016 at 5:28 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Historian explains why Jesus ''mythers'' aren't taken seriously by most Historians TheMessiah 456 58484 July 1, 2015 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How can Christians and Atheist respect each other's beliefs? Hezekiah 50 9411 October 5, 2014 at 2:47 am
Last Post: robvalue