Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 20, 2024, 11:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried?
RE: Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried?
(September 30, 2016 at 2:20 am)Minimalist Wrote: No, not quite you don't.  What you refuse to realize is that we do not have anything resembling the original letters of anyone named "paul."  Proto-orthodox writers in the late 2d/early 3d century tell us that Marcion of Sinope issued a canon with 10 epistles of this paul-guy and the gospel of the lord...which turns out to be a good part of gLuke.  Marcion was denounced as a heretic, which must have been amusing since the Roman church in the mid 2d century was not a big deal compared to all the xtian sects in the East but whatever.  As previously noted, Justin writing c 160 AD never heard of "paul" so since Marcion dates to around 144 we can assume that it took over 40 years before the proto-orthodox completed the re-write of "paul" and tacked on the first two chapters of Luke to the gospel of the lord.  Obviously, Marcion's idea was too good to pass up but it sure as fuck was going to say what they wanted it to say.
However, the consensus you seek is illusory.

Right, so you're putting forward another fallacy. We don't know how many strands of Christianity there were by the second century, I postulate there were at least three: the Pauline Christians, the Jewish Christians, and the Gnostic Christians. There could have been more that were more closely associated with other Apostles. I actually thought I'd coined the term "Pauline Christianity" when I used it a few posts back, but it turns out your man-crush scholar Dick C Carrier has used that term himself. Anyway, Paul says that he was personally unknown to the Jerusalem church until the council in 50AD. If he was unknown to them, then others may have been unknown to them too, and we don't have an account of who they were or what their activities were either; so no it is not unexpected to have a second century "church father" that has a Christian lineage that is not pure Pauline to not know who Paul is.

Furthermore please note the Carrier quote I quoted to FF regarding Pauline mythicism.

(September 30, 2016 at 2:20 am)Minimalist Wrote: BTW, Second Corinthians contains this little gem:

Quote:In Damascus the governor under King Aretas had the city of the Damascenes guarded in order to arrest me.

2 Cor 11:32

Aretas III did capture Damascus, c 84 BC.  Aretas IV is last seen in history fleeing from the Roman army c 37 AD and he sure as shit did not capture Damascus.  Yet, 2 Cor is one of these alleged authentic letters.  Xtians, I have noted, run like scared rabbits from this one.

Right, again I'm not convinced by your argument. 2 Corinthians as you rightly point out is an amalgamation of Pauline epistles to the Corinthians. But even without it we know that he wrote to them because of 1 Corinthians. Given that Acts says Paul was a tentmaker and Corinth was a young town at the time, it makes perfect sense that Paul would have spent quite a bit of time in Corinth and therefore care about the town quite a bit and write several letters. Now with that said, I don't know the state of scholarly criticism on the letter - but I do know that at least one verse (or part thereof) is thought to be a later addition, and I presume that's what you're talking about. It doesn't alter the fact that the majority of the content is authentic Pauline, even if some of it is not.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? - by Aractus - September 30, 2016 at 2:48 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2314 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1137 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Jesus wants passionate christians purplepurpose 3 678 April 1, 2023 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why is Jesus Circumcised and not the rest of the christians ? Megabullshit 23 5513 February 9, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6429 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? Firefighter01 0 507 August 31, 2016 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Firefighter01
Video The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work Mental Outlaw 1346 257969 July 2, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Why I hate Right Wing Christians bussta33 31 6437 April 16, 2016 at 5:28 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Historian explains why Jesus ''mythers'' aren't taken seriously by most Historians TheMessiah 456 59393 July 1, 2015 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How can Christians and Atheist respect each other's beliefs? Hezekiah 50 9603 October 5, 2014 at 2:47 am
Last Post: robvalue