Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 10:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist?
RE: Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist?
(November 25, 2016 at 5:52 pm)Balaco Wrote: From what I'm gathering, you guys generally view religion as a product of the mind, an excuse for hope or political power, etc. that ignores logic and bends accordingly.

What are your thoughts on miracles, whether large-scale ones like the events of Fatima, or "personal" miracles like those listed on sites like these, http://www1.cbn.com/700club/episodes/all...ng-stories ....Lies? Coincidences? Exaggerations?

The Fatima miracle can be approached instead of from the viewpoint of how can the thousands of eyewitnesses who say the sun reversed course, zig-zagged or “danced” in the sky be wrong to logically extrapolating what this would physically mean. Since science has shown that the earth revolves around the Sun, for the illusion that the Sun reversed course the Earth would have to have reversed its orbit. 

What happens to the passengers of a car when you slam the brakes when traveling at 67 mph? Inertia http://www.classzone.com/vpg_ebooks/ml_s...age_47.pdf would send you flying through the windshield if you weren’t wearing a seatbelt.

We know the average distance of the Earth from the Sun is 93.5 million miles. This means that in 365.25 days the Earth travels 587.5 million miles, this works out to about 67 thousand miles per hour. Inertia would have probably sent everything on the surface into space, tectonic plates would have crumpled like paper and the oceans vaporized. The Earth would have ceased to exist as a planet. 

What is more likely? Mass hallucination or that the planet reversed orbit and “zig-zagged”?

People see what they want to see.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? - by Full Circle - November 26, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1969 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 8387 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2288 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1107 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3538 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5350 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2944 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 2049 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  [Serious] Why I consider Atheists the Dumbest of the Dumb theMadJW 63 8490 May 13, 2020 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 14253 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie