Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What made you become an atheist?
What made you become an atheist?
I don't consider myself an atheist, however more of an agnostic. I can't say that God exists, but I also can't deny it. Because I really don't know. I'm not all knowing. But I'm curious to hear why you became an atheist, or even why you are an agnostic like myself.
RE: What made you become an atheist?
Birth.
(December 10, 2019 at 11:16 am)Atomic Lava Wrote: I don't consider myself an atheist, however more of an agnostic. I can't say that God exists, but I also can't deny it. Because I really don't know. I'm not all knowing. But I'm curious to hear why you became an atheist, or even why you are an agnostic like myself.

I may be splitting hairs here, as I understand how words operate in common usage... but strictly speaking, you qualify as an atheist if you do not hold a belief in god.

Personally, I don't know that I ever "became" an atheist, but I realized that I was an atheist in my early teens. As cliche as it is, I started smoking pot and questioning things with my friends, and eventually it led me to realize that I do not believe in god. So, to be fair, I'm not sure if I ever really was a Christian; I think that I was always an atheist and simply convinced myself otherwise for a large part of my life. Among other things, I started to read a LOT. I skimmed through the Bible quite a lot, but I really started reading different authors that were skeptical of religion... among the books I read were:

God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens

A Universe of Consciousness: How Matter Becomes Imagination by Gerald Edelman and Giulio Tononi

Lord, Save Us From Your Followers: Why is the Gospel of Love Dividing America? by Dan Merchant (this is actually a pro-Christian book, for lack of a better term, but it actually skewed me away from Christianity)

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche (this is a collection of writings on Buddhism, but it strayed me away from Christian thought and was my first introduction to a non-Abrahamic religion)

The Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey (an interesting take on the so-called 'carnal religion' created by LaVey)

The Satanic Scriptures by Peter H. Gilmore (a more focused interpretation of LaVey's philosophy)

The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri

An Intelligent Person's Guide to Philosophy by Roger Scruton

...and these are just to name a few. All of these books, in some way shape or form, helped me shape my current views on religion and god.

So, a lot of reading, some free-thinking and a copious amount of cannabis led me to realize that I never really believed in god.

If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
Everyone is born an atheist. A new born can have no knowledge of any gods, nothing in my life since birth (65 years so far) has convinced me of the existance of any gods.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(December 10, 2019 at 11:16 am)Atomic Lava Wrote: I don't consider myself an atheist, however more of an agnostic. I can't say that God exists, but I also can't deny it. Because I really don't know. I'm not all knowing. But I'm curious to hear why you became an atheist, or even why you are an agnostic like myself.

You don't "become". Humans are not cartoon Transformers. 

The better way of putting it would be, "What caused you to leave your prior position?".

Humans are always human, we don't magically "become" anything. Humans simply think about things, and change their minds. 

One can eat at a restaurant, and over time get tired of the food. But because you may like that food for a while, does not make you the restaurant itself. It is just the joint you currently like eating at.

What caused me to leave my prior "on" position, regarding god claims?

Specifically the food joint I used to eat at was "Catholic". But one day, working as a laborer at a construction site building homes, a carpenter(ironically) asked me "What if Jesus was just a man?".  That was a long time ago, and I now severely question that such a character existed at all, even just as a man. 

I didn't leave the food joint on the spot. Prior I always found something amiss with the fantastic claims made in the bible and by the Preacher in church, but was too afraid at the time to question. I was more concerned prior, to fitting in and wanting to belong. But something in the way that guy asked me that sparked my inner skepticism. 

It was not an on the spot, "I was wrong". It actually took me almost a decade from that question, to finally saying, "I don't need to eat at any theist food joint, I am now in the "off" position.

FYI, the word "agnostic' was a horribly cobbled together word by Thomas Huxley.  It basically means, "fence sitter" which is misleading. 

"A" in the ancient Greek prefix means "without", and "gnostic" or "gnosis" means "to know". So the word "agnostic" means without knowledge.

The problem with that word, is that it is meaningless until applied to a position. It is falsely used as a stand alone word, when it does not, by itself tell you what you are without knowledge of.

The other thing Huxley didn't take into account, were past claims, current claims, and future possibilities. 

You can look at god vs no god, as like a dimmer switch on a light, either way. You can be more certain, "BRIGHT" in your position, or dimmer "not sure" but lean one way or the other. But there is really only on and off ultimately.

For example. I am CURRENTLY "off" on all past and current claims of god/s so far. I am "technically" "agnostic" about the future, although I still see the god of the gaps answering anything fleetingly unlikely.

It is possible to hold a theist position , say a certain Muslim, or a certain Christian, or a certain Jew. But you can also hold  an agnostic theist position , which is someone who is "on" on god claims, but not certain as to what it's makeup is. 

One can also hold an "agnostic atheist" position. Meaning one can current be "off" but accept the future is not written in stone. 

But I do regardless of position, hate the words "convert, deconvert, and become". The positions humans hold, are merely what they are sold by others, but we are not caterpillars morphing into butterflies. Our labels as a species are mere positions, not our physical DNA.
Agnostic atheist here.

I simply realised what I was being fed couldn’t be backed up with evidence and stopped believing.
Dying to live, living to die.
My slow dimmer progression from on to off, like I said took almost a decade.

A couple years after that carpenter asking me "What if Jesus were just a man", I was taking a trade school computer course at the time a sicko went into Cafeteria called "Luby's" In Waco Tx, and murdered a couple dozen people. When I arrived to class, I was early, and there was only a couple of people there. I invited them to pray with me, but one lady looked at me and scoffed. At the time I was offended, but looking back at it now, I get it. She wasn't trying to offend me, but rolling her eyes at my cliche logic. 

But it didn't end there. Years later I went to the Smithsonian where at the time, they had a hall full of Hindu/Buddhist statues of the Angkor Wat Cambodian dynasty which showed that the two religions mixed. And that more than prior events caused me to realize, if that mixing and influence can happen here, then maybe there is nothing original about any religion, and they all stem from human competition.

EVEN THEN though, I was still a bit of a diest, or "agnostic theist". It was not until college when I ran into my first open atheist, that I realized "off" was an ok position to hold.

BUT AGAIN, even after that, it wasn't until after college that I actively sought other atheists online, and over the years learned lots from other atheists. It isn't enough to claim "off" as a position. It is extremely important to be able to argue why "off" is the valid position.
it’s strange to me how people think they have agency over their beliefs

it doesn’t seem to me I choose to believe or not believe anything - I just do or don’t.

Maybe I’m just splitting hairs about language but when religious people say just pray or just ask god... they must have a sense that something is listening ... it used to bother me that so many people have this peculiar mental illness but now my own life is too shitty to worry about their problems

Quote:It was not until college when I ran into my first open atheist, that I realized "off" was an ok position to hold.

Does okayness really have any influence on what you really believe?
(December 10, 2019 at 12:44 pm)CarveTheFive Wrote: it’s strange to me how people think they have agency over their beliefs

it doesn’t seem to me I choose to believe or not believe anything - I just do or don’t.

Maybe I’m just splitting hairs about language but when religious people say just pray or just ask god... they must have a sense that something is listening ... it used to bother me that so many people have this peculiar mental illness but now my own life is too shitty to worry about their problems

Quote:It was not until college when I ran into my first open atheist, that I realized "off" was an ok position to hold.

Does okayness really have any influence on what you really believe?

I never chose to be religious. It would have taken a conscious effort for me to believe a god, I would have to choose to reject reality.
Reason I am an atheist is because theists only use logical fallacies in order to supposedly prove God.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3251 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I have made a new YouTube video about afterlife... FlatAssembler 32 2214 July 12, 2022 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Photo Cartoon I made poking fun at Religion! shawnmcdaniel1 19 2891 September 9, 2021 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  What made you become an atheist? Handprint 170 46228 October 3, 2018 at 5:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  Made a preacherman run away. Gawdzilla Sama 19 3429 December 3, 2017 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Christianity Made Me Talk Like An Idiot Manowar 6 2698 June 25, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92724 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  Even in darkest times here is something that made me smile dyresand 3 1945 May 17, 2017 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How did u become an atheist? Lebneni Murtad 52 10061 April 6, 2017 at 1:21 am
Last Post: surreptitious57
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4688 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite