Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 8:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist?
RE: Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist?
I can't tell you why you should become an atheist. If you want to become one, then you probably should. I mean it's not worth lying to yourself over.

The best I can do is tell you that if you're looking for answers--and I mean truly looking, not just 'exploring' atheism so you can say you did it, and that you beat it like most Christians do--I strongly suggest taking a look at the bible as if it weren't written or inspired by god. Replace 'god' with 'A shepherd named Kevin' and replace 'Jesus' with 'Frank', and ask yourself if the morality that Kevin and Frank present is a morality you're not just comfortable with, but makes you feel like Frank and Kevin are people you could really trust (minus the god claims).

If you're comfortable with Kevin and Frank's morality, then you should probably remain a Christian. Basically, you have to ask yourself if the bible lacked all divine influence and lacked any creator--if it's something you'd want to live your life by. You kind of have to treat it like a cult, and then ask yourself it the cult leaders are truly 'good'.

Personally, I couldn't. I mean I know a lot of Christians will advise against this. They'll say God is special. But if he's truly good, shouldn't you see him as good even if he isn't God? It's an excuse. "You can't judge god by man's standards!" All that really means is that this 'god' was no different than if a shepherd named Frank wrote the old testament.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? - by Cecelia - November 30, 2016 at 1:09 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1969 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 8394 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2289 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1108 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3538 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5350 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2944 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 2054 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  [Serious] Why I consider Atheists the Dumbest of the Dumb theMadJW 63 8490 May 13, 2020 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 14255 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie