Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 7:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist?
RE: Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist?
(December 7, 2016 at 7:36 pm)Balaco Wrote: I think pretty much any theistic answer to this would relate to the claim that God is logical and we have to educate ourselves on that properly (however that is). Unsure how this holds up in general and in relation to the below points.

How is the concept of god logical?

(December 7, 2016 at 7:36 pm)Balaco Wrote: They're not seen as contradictions/fallacies by Christians. By "justifications", I meant how Christians explain the possible contradictions/fallacies and why they don't treat them as such. If these justifications don't hold up, meaning the Bible contains blatant errors, then yeah the idea of the Bible is pretty much invalidated.
A group of religious folks claiming that their favorite book contains no logical fallacies doesn't make it so. Also, shouldn't a perfect, infallible holy book be a clear concise text? Why should perceived fallacies need to be explained away or perceived contradictions need to be justified? Shouldn't a perfect holy book deliver a clear message to all? It is, in fact, The Word of God.

(December 7, 2016 at 7:36 pm)Balaco Wrote: I wouldn't necessarily say that, but it does seem like a common pattern, considering ancient religions in particular.

I won't lie, I don't know how to refute this. I don't know if I can even say it's to help us grow in our faith, as it kind of seems like the opposite to me. I'll try to get the perspective of other theists on this.
So why is every logical gap in the Christian philosophy a 'test of faith' rather than just being a logical gap. Isn't it interesting that christians call anything that challenges their worldview a 'test of faith?'

(December 7, 2016 at 7:36 pm)Balaco Wrote: I don't know, and the theistic answers I've seen seem to conclude it's because God considers it best for them and the people around them. One theist I read about apparently considers the amputation of her then-infant son's feet to be a calling for her to be a special mother, and speak to others about God.
So god does intervene in people's lives? Then how does free will exist? Also is it a loving god that allows his children to be amputated in order to 'grow as a person?' Is that god loving and just? Also does that not seem like a justification coming from the mother of that child that allows her to psychologically deal with the fact that her baby is disabled? Why should a child have to suffer such horrible things? Is that a loving god that allows that? Why does god not intervene then? God allowed a child's feet to be amputated just so the mother could be 'special?' Does that really make sense to you?

(December 7, 2016 at 7:36 pm)Balaco Wrote: He allows us to choose evil actions. From my understanding, if people have mental/psychological problems that prevent them from knowing any better/having control over their actions, they're not necessarily held responsible for them. Though I don't know why God would even allow people to be uncontrollably evil like that, so I'll probably look into it.
So what about folks who were never told about god? Do they go to hell? And why would god allow us to be evil? Does that not mean that god is willingly let evil exist in the world?

(December 7, 2016 at 7:36 pm)Balaco Wrote: I can't really see how this point alone would disprove how God doesn't perform miracles.

Fate is said to be determined by our actions and how they relate to the love we owe to God. Not sure how this factors in with the fact that some people are psychologically considered evil.
How can god allow us to have free will if he intervenes by performing miracles...? How is fate predetermined by our actions and the 'love we owe god?' Please explain.

(December 7, 2016 at 7:36 pm)Balaco Wrote: Not 100% sure if God directly causes individual disasters at times, but in general He allows these terrible events to occur just like anything else in the world. I've heard it's to strengthen our faith through tough times and suffering, grow closer to victims, etc. 
So once again it's the 'test of faith' argument... Aren't you starting to see a pattern here?

(December 7, 2016 at 7:36 pm)Balaco Wrote: Basically, yeah. Though I've followed and tried to grow stronger in the faith myself, of course. Obviously I can't say whether I'd even take religion seriously if my parents were atheists.
You can't say whether you take religion seriously yet you have tried to grow stronger in 'the faith?' How so?

(December 7, 2016 at 7:36 pm)Balaco Wrote: That's one of many things that have come to mind lately. There's a bunch of religions in the world, and a bunch of denominations of them, all strongly believing they're right. I realized the other day that if I remain a theist after all of this, then by the same reasoning behind why I'm questioning theism in general, I'll have to look into what religion is even correct. Even if Christianity is correct, I don't even know if Roman Catholicism is even the correct Christian faith to follow.
Isn't it interesting that people of all faiths around the world will use the same exact answers that you have used to counter the questions that I have asked you? Doesn't this expose a pattern to you?
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? - by AceBoogie - December 8, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1969 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 8394 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2289 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1108 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3538 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5350 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2944 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 2052 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  [Serious] Why I consider Atheists the Dumbest of the Dumb theMadJW 63 8490 May 13, 2020 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 14255 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie