Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 9:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis
(February 16, 2017 at 9:43 pm)Khemikal Wrote:
(February 16, 2017 at 9:05 pm)bennyboy Wrote:

What's the distal cause of the existence of matter?  The Big Bang?  Whatever quantity/principle/process allowed for it?
IOW there is nothing known to exist that you would consider a distal cause.  There is no point at which you would consider this particular question answered.  An army of distal causes between the proximate cause and the big bang, but none satisfy.
I can easily be proven wrong. Show what systems do/do not have subjective experience, and that there IS a critical mass of function at which something non-experiencing suddenly allows for experience. 1, 2, 3. . . GO!

Quote:I disagree, what is the distal cause of whatever unknown thing you would call a distal cause, so on and so forth, ad infinitum.  Do you see the problem with the way you've approached the question -and- determined your own answer?  Yu have no ore reason to call that unknown thing the distal cause of qualia than anything between it, and objecting in the way hat you have is self defeating.

You're searching for something like an ultimate cause.  I don;t know what that ulimate ause is, neither do you.  Not knowing it won't make any of the intermediate distals any less effective, though.  
The distal cause need not be infinite. If qualia are purely material, I'll be satisfied with you showing the exact physical structure which is minimally necessary for the most basic elements of subjective experience. An actual mechanism would be nice, but I'm not even gonna ask you for that.

Quote:Do you think that rocks are able to know what something is like?
Nope. But I believe it's possible that there are subsystems, even in a rock, which do. I'd look first to QM particles, then to energetic interactions in the form of photon absorption or electric exchange.

Now, I don't know this to be the case, but you have some work to do. You do not believe that qualia or consciousness are intrinsic the the Universe or to the matter in it-- you believe that it is under particular circumstances that even the most primitive mind comes into being. So explain what this critical mass is, and provide evidence for it.

(February 16, 2017 at 9:35 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: It seems that qualia, as in the case of the bat, is tied to the type of sensory systems that an organism has.  It makes no sense to extend that insight into organisms and systems that have no sensory apparatus.  It is a leap to suggest that you can have qualia without senses.  What evidence are you drawing upon to suggest that qualia can exist without senses?  It makes as much sense to suppose that a bat doesn't have qualia for sonar, the link between senses and qualia is that strong.
Well, what's a sense? At its most basic, it is a system which can take in energy from outside itself, and use this to inform a behavior. An electron can absorb a photon, and its increased energy causes it to vibrate more. Has the atom "sensed" the electron? This might sound silly, but you'll have to determine at what stage of organization something "senses" if you are going to arrive at the "critical mass for qualia" I've been talking about.

I'm not an expert in physics, but it seems to me the observer effect demonstrates that even simple particles are capable of reacting to aspects of their environment.

Messages In This Thread
Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by Won2blv - February 13, 2017 at 11:04 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by Won2blv - February 14, 2017 at 12:04 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by DLJ - February 14, 2017 at 2:02 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by DLJ - February 14, 2017 at 8:00 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by DLJ - February 14, 2017 at 12:34 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by Won2blv - February 15, 2017 at 11:50 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by DLJ - February 15, 2017 at 2:37 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by DLJ - February 15, 2017 at 11:14 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by DLJ - February 15, 2017 at 11:42 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by DLJ - February 15, 2017 at 11:02 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by DLJ - February 16, 2017 at 11:22 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by emjay - February 16, 2017 at 6:23 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by emjay - February 16, 2017 at 9:33 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by emjay - February 16, 2017 at 12:57 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by bennyboy - February 16, 2017 at 9:54 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by DLJ - February 17, 2017 at 9:21 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by emjay - February 17, 2017 at 8:26 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by emjay - February 18, 2017 at 10:29 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by emjay - February 18, 2017 at 11:54 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by Won2blv - February 18, 2017 at 12:57 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by emjay - February 18, 2017 at 1:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good read on consciousness Apollo 41 2682 January 12, 2021 at 4:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How could we trust our consciousness ?! zainab 45 5035 December 30, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Testing a Hypothesis about the Supernatural Bahana 103 16803 June 18, 2018 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  Consciousness Trilemma Neo-Scholastic 208 57349 June 7, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5769 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  A hypothesis about consciousness Won2blv 12 4051 February 12, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Won2blv
  Foundation of all Axioms the Axioms of Consciousness fdesilva 98 14450 September 24, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist
  Consciousness is simply an illusion emergent of a Boltzmann brain configuration.... maestroanth 36 5847 April 10, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  God of the gaps, magical hypothesis, philosophical meandering. schizo pantheist 36 8378 January 23, 2015 at 12:04 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Trying to Understand Many-Worlds Interpretation Better GrandizerII 45 7204 November 29, 2014 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Alex K