Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 3:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism?
RE: Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism?
(March 30, 2017 at 9:14 am)Mister Agenda Wrote:
SteveII Wrote:No, fine tuning is not an interpretation. It is a fact, that the initial constants had to be in a mind-boggling narrow band of values for the universe to hold together, elements to form, galaxies to form, etc. See here for a another basic list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuned...e#Examples

If you think this is just a fringe opinion, here is the bio of the guy who created the list. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Rees

This has been all gone over earlier in the thread. You are wrong about how we arrive at the conclusion: 

1. The fine-tuning of the universe is due to either physical necessity, chance, or design.
2. The fine-tuning of the universe is not due to physical necessity or chance.
3. Therefore, the fine-tuning of the universe is due to design.

What is not a fact is that the universal constants could have been different. You have only arbitrarily asserted physical necessity is not the reason for the fine-tuning of the universe, not ruled it out by any rational process. I'm sure there's a Nobel waiting for the person who can do that.

Not to mention that there's no mechanism for universe generation that would not just keep spewing them out, so there's no way to rule out chance from near infinite opportunities, either.

2. fails spectacularly.

SteveII Wrote:No, they are not good arguments because the universe is not the way it is by necessity or chance. I have mentioned both and I have yet to hear back a reason why either is more probable than design.  If you think it is, make the case.

For the love of reason, you can't be this dense. You haven't given a reason why design is more probable than necessity or chance. Without that, it's 2 to one against.

Eddy Murphy, "Norton, I know that you know that I know that you know"

Norton, "Get to the point Ralphy boy"

Ralph "Norton, how would you like your logic ......up the......"

Norton, "Humna humna humna...... way to go Ralpy boy".

I cant't take them seriously. A book full of myth full of scientific absurdities and in reality a nasty universe that if a parent treated their kid the way their God Character does, would be arrested for child abuse. They are stuck in an echo chamber not trying to convince us, but themselves.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? - by Brian37 - March 30, 2017 at 9:47 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 5378 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 42139 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17838 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 17054 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7876 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Baha'i Faith, have you heard of it? Foxaèr 22 3349 October 23, 2017 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Should Theists have the burden of proof at the police and court? Vast Vision 16 5324 July 10, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Jesster
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 23389 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  What do you think of this argument for God? SuperSentient 140 19550 March 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Theists: would you view the truth? robvalue 154 19071 December 25, 2016 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Godscreated