Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists: would you view the truth?
Theists: would you view the truth?
Here's a question for religious theists who have some sort of story associated with their religion. If you had the chance, would you view the events for yourself, to see once and for all what really happened? There's a worm hole open, let's say, that you could look through. Maybe it happened just like you think, maybe it was a bit different, or maybe it was nothing like it.

Would you stick with whatever faith/confidence you have now, or would you check the facts to confirm? Why?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Theists: would you view the truth?
I think, If people like the idea of immortality, EVEN if it involves being a servant who just gives away his resources, then I see no reason why would they even look at atheism.

Rob, I just visited Christian forum, and I must say, Its like walking in to "spiritual radiation" zone. Post questions directly on Christian forum, I think results will be interesting.
Hmm cold hard truth or warm fuzzy ignorance with a chance to gain massive follower base and insane dough... a very tough choice indeed
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(November 27, 2016 at 8:24 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: Hmm cold hard truth or warm fuzzy ignorance with a chance to gain massive follower base and insane dough... a very tough choice indeed

Nobody knows what happens in the heads of church leaders who weren't caught wasting money on luxury. Your generalizing. They might be living like saints, we can only guess.
(November 27, 2016 at 8:11 am)purplepurpose Wrote: I think, If people like the idea of immortality, EVEN if it involves being a servant who just gives away his resources, then I see no reason why would they even look at atheism.

Rob, I just visited Christian forum, and I must say, Its like walking in to "spiritual radiation" zone. Post questions directly on Christian forum, I think results will be interesting.

I'm not asking them if they'd look at atheism, just if they'd want to know the truth, whatever it may be. I'm not saying that they'll find out they are wrong.

Even if I could find a forum where I won't be banned for asking questions, I don't think I could stomach it.

You're welcome to ask the same question for me if you like.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Yes, I'd love to see the way things happened, 1st hand.
(November 27, 2016 at 10:22 am)Ignorant Wrote: Yes, I'd love to see the  way things happened, 1st hand.

And in the likely event that they didn't happen as you currently believe what then?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Worm holes are the devils handy work.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 27, 2016 at 11:41 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Worm holes are the devils handy work.

Yep. There are a lot of people so emotionally invested in their beliefs that, if it turned out the truth wasn't as they believed (e.g., if Jesus' body was moved by his family to a location unknown to the disciples or if none of the miracles allegedly performed during his ministry ever happened), they wouldn't believe their own eyes. It would all be a Satanic trick and a test of their faith. There's just no reasoning with certain people.

As an atheist, I would love to see it all first hand -- the Biblical claims, the Islamic claims, what have you -- and would be prepared to change my mind in the face of actual evidence.
Of course one would require sufficient confidence in the technology offered to displace the faith one already has I suppose. Selling a peek in the worm hole might be a nonstarter for some.

Not surprised Ignorant would be eager for a look. I think he'd at least want to take in the experience and at least put his faith to the test.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 39948 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17005 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 78638 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  [Serious] Freemasons: why is there such a negative view of this group? GODZILLA 8 1400 February 4, 2019 at 6:43 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 16728 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Truth or swag? Angrboda 64 9470 June 4, 2018 at 3:08 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  What would you say to a god if you met one? The Valkyrie 37 4041 June 1, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  How I view all the world's religions. Brian37 0 600 March 22, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7757 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What would you do if you found out that I was God? Aegon 16 2557 October 8, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Aegon