Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 4:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism?
RE: Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism?
(April 1, 2017 at 2:37 am)Katia81 Wrote: no agument. you re free to worship and go to church often if you want. PRIVATELY. Don't come knocking on a door

I don't expect religion to always stay private, but if they are guests on private websites they do not own, they should not fool themselves into thinking we will simply roll over.

In the west humans are going to make religious claims in public, the only pragmatic thing skeptics can do is challenge those claims in public. My only objection is when ANY religion tries to claim a social pecking order is mandated by the government just because they are in the majority. I don't agree with religion hijacking government business and say "I get to do it and you don't" 

The founders did NOT exclude religious people from holding office. The didn't exclude atheists from it either despite some states defying that neutrality and doing it anyway. 

My point is, if you volunteer come to my space, door or mutual public space, make a claim, when you are not forced to be, you have no right to complain when I tell you what I think of that claim. The government bans monopolies, not religion itself. The founders were wise enough to know, most of the time if people couldn't agree they would chose to keep the setting neutral, that wasn't so much the case at the founding, but I think they knew over time that choice would make the country more secular over long periods, and it has. Prior to the founding, the colonies were much more dogmatic and theocratic.

I think it is extremely important to have these debates both on private websites and even in public. I don't think far right dogmatism wins long term when you allow it. I also think having them defends scientific method and reduces the places superstition can hide and grow.

(April 1, 2017 at 2:01 pm)Tazzycorn Wrote:
(March 31, 2017 at 4:23 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Edit:  Changed my mind... agree, he's just trolling.

Brian's not trolling, he's just restating his point, mainly because ye theists are too cowardly to answer his original point. He's making a valid refutation of religion yet both you and Wooters are trying to shout him down by accusing him a troll.

And this in a thread where Steve 2 is still advancing his "fine tuning therefore god" PRATT, and nobody yet trying to shut him up.

They wont make the attempt because they are afraid the cognitive dissonance will destroy their illusion. They are so used to patting themselves on the back and looking for excuses to cling to it, it never occurs to them that that is what most humans have done collectively worldwide in our species history. Most humans rather than admitting they got it wrong, will instead look for ways to keep justifying that position because it coincides with their own desires.

Roadrunner/Neo/Steve, are in the same boat as any Hindu or Buddhist or Jew or Muslim ect ect ect. I don't say that to be mean to any of my fellow humans. It is deep rooted in our evolution to defend that which we are familiar with and like. It is hard for most humans to change.

I still have yet to see in my 16 years of on line debate anyone of any religion answer science=my religion outside of "it does". I know the Hindu and Buddhist and Christian and Jew and Muslim all want to believe it points to their club sure. But if it worked like that we'd have the answer by now as to who got it right. 

The reason I challenge people OF ALL RELIGIONS to remove their club and or deity and put another one there and see if it works, is because that is what science demands, a control group and independent peer review. The concept of a control group and  independent peer review are how neutral science filters out personal bias.

If you are not willing to plug another claim into your "formula" then you are not being neutral, you are looking for an excuse to keep your position. I don't single out Christians or Muslims or Jews or Hindus or Buddhists. 

If anyone of any religion thinks they are the only religion that does that, all they have to do to know every religion does that is to google search " Christian science" then "Jewish science" then "Muslim science" then "Hindu science" then "Buddhist science".

Messages In This Thread
RE: Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? - by Brian37 - April 1, 2017 at 2:24 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 5379 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 42140 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17838 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 17054 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7876 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Baha'i Faith, have you heard of it? Foxaèr 22 3349 October 23, 2017 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Should Theists have the burden of proof at the police and court? Vast Vision 16 5324 July 10, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Jesster
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 23389 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  What do you think of this argument for God? SuperSentient 140 19551 March 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Theists: would you view the truth? robvalue 154 19072 December 25, 2016 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Godscreated