Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 8:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considering atheism [Currently Christian]
RE: Considering atheism [Currently Christian]
(July 8, 2017 at 8:34 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Hi Melissa.

Atheism =/= science, and the movie was comedy parody (or at least I thought is was). Scientists can believe in all kinds of things including a god (cough cough, that hurt). 

Atheists don't believe in god(s), that's it. Science has little to do with religion except that christians (jews, mulsims, ....) keep bringing it up as a gotcha, stating "science can't explain what I believe, therefore god". The purpose of science is not to disprove god. Unfortunately when christians drag science into the argument "does god exist" many people of science are forced to defend the often badly represented christian concepts or faulty use of science. That is when the misconception that atheism = science arises.  

I've asked a lot of religious people to provide me with evidence of god. Not just what they think is evidence but what anyone would think is evidence, religious and non religious. So far all have failed as far as I'm concerned.

Note: I do not represent all of atheism. I'm sure that there are others views (but they are all sick in the head).

Most of the time, an atheist did emerge from a religion so in the absence of those factors that once affected their worldview, science is typically a very good filler of the gaps left behind since religion typically reinforces ignorance and teaches lies, enabling science to both discover what was previously unknown or which was incorrectly assumed. In any case it's far more fascinating than anything any mythology has to offer. But it's not the only thing, it's just one that significantly affects one's worldview in a post-religious mind. Of course those who haven't exercised their critical thinking faculties (whether or not they have left a religious belief behind) may fall into other woo beliefs of a non-religious nature so atheism doesn't really take that into account, making it an inadequate label for most situations. Some more specific label like secular humanist or whatever reflects your personal worldview and moral philosophy might be more appropriate to consider.

Because religion came first, that is pretty much its only virtue of having a stranglehold on all the power it wields. Because science is a superior means of understanding things, disproves its claims at every turn, and enables people to see things in a far more wondrous way without any emotional baggage (sin, guilt, etc.), of course religion is going to see it as the ultimate evil. But how primitive must they paint themselves to be to decry it? Its time is over. Without being indoctrinated, no one in this day and age could be convinced of any of it. Even if it doesn't take right and comes roaring back later in life. Be proud if you've managed to break through that locked door from the inside.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Considering atheism [Currently Christian] - by Lek - July 9, 2017 at 12:32 pm
RE: Considering atheism [Currently Christian] - by Astonished - July 8, 2017 at 10:37 am
RE: Considering atheism [Currently Christian] - by Lek - July 8, 2017 at 7:07 pm
RE: Considering atheism [Currently Christian] - by Lek - July 9, 2017 at 11:57 am
RE: Considering atheism [Currently Christian] - by Lek - July 9, 2017 at 12:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2893 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3574 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27784 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Currently living in a "Christian Program." Secular Atheist 23 6455 July 29, 2015 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Christian Atheism piterski123 25 4903 June 5, 2015 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Which type of Political Atheism is most influential in human society currently? CristW 19 4864 February 20, 2015 at 9:51 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12708 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12255 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10586 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12094 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda