Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Currently living in a "Christian Program."
Currently living in a "Christian Program."
For about a month now I've been living in a "Christian program." I don't know if it should be analogous to Jesus Camp, however, there is a fundamental similarity to it. I wasn't secretly surprised by pastors or members of the church in the heat of the night, but rather offered an "apartment" for 500 dollars rent. My aunt "found" this place for me because I didn't like living with other people she knew due to how unsanitary their place of residence was. I have to share a bedroom with three guys at the new place, I'm not kidding.

I will supply a little back story and illustrate my situation in depth. I lived with my aunt for about two years in Baldwin Hills California in her gorgeous home. The house consisted of two large living rooms, four bedrooms and a pool in the backyard. I read the Bible here in full due to my confusion about life and just plain out wanted to see "what the big deal was about the Bible." To put it bluntly I was not impressed.  Having the knowledge of the Bible currently residing in my knowledge, I started to produce video presentations about verses I've found immoral, scientifically inaccurate, and disturbing. I shown her the video when I was done and she was quite the entire time. She knows two of my cousins are atheists and probably started to worry that I was questioning the ethics of the Bible.

She has been contemplating on "remodeling" the house for awhile and finally decided to do so about six months ago. I was moved to another place she owns in Inglewood California which had a large chapel downstairs and many rooms. She said I "would be here temporarily until the remodeling work was done." Church service was held every Thursday at 7 pm to 10 pm which I've never attended but could hear the shouting and singing up stairs. The place was patently run down and extremely unsanitary. Rodent and insect problems ran rampant throughout my stay here and sometimes I could hear rodents in the walls which kept me up all night some nights. This almost costed me my job due to the lack of sleep I got and loss of focus due to it on that job.  I complained a lot to her about this and asked her when am I going back to the house in Baldwin Hills. She told me "I sold the place in Baldwin Hills and no rooms are being rented out." I was pissed but never said anything to her as I was furious due to the blatant lies. We had a conversation about the similarities of Jesus to other Egyptian and Paganism and she looked stoked, as to probably not ever knowing this. She invited me to go to the church service which was being held that night and I replied no.

Two weeks later I confronted her about lying to me and how I didn't appreciate it. She goes on a tangent about "always keeping it 100" and got really defensive. Then I said "I know when someone is hiding something from me because they get defensive when they are called out on it." I exhorted "You did not lie to me about going back in two weeks?" She started stuttering and I said "What are hiding from me?" Then she told me her house burned up from the inside out. The awkward silence subsequently commenced.  I asked why did you never tell me the house burned up and how long ago was this? She said "I don't need to report back to you and it was 4 months ago." I walked off pissed and started thinking about it all. She lied and kept this a secret for 4 entire months because well some of my stuff was still at that house which obviously burned up. I had to verify that the place was burned up because at this point I didn't believe a word that came out of her mouth. Indeed it was but wasn't catastrophic.

Now she moved me over here in the "Christian program" which is an obvious attempt at trying to proselytize me. I have to share a room with 3 guys and Bible study is during the day. I'm at work all day so I've never attended one. Church is "mandatory" on Sunday which I've never attended because I leave the house early Sunday mornings. I had a "debate" with the pastor and brought up all the troublesome verses and passages in the Bible. He told me he's never read the entire Bible and most of it is allegorical. I replied "If the Bible is meant to be allegorical then what is the allegory for don't eat shell fish? Or don't eat pork? What is the deeper truth to don't touch your wife when she's on her period? What is the deeper truth to if you don't hate your siblings you cannot be my disciple?" He used the typical cop out of "you must have faith." I told him faith is a unreasonable belief and a license you guys give yourself to neglect thinking when reason fail.

It's really hard to live here because every word out of one of the woman that run this place is "in Jesus name" or "praise the Lord." I have no idea how anything like this is even legal and they had me sign a paper stating a can't sue them. I'm looking for advise on how to survive this.
RE: Currently living in a "Christian Program."
Are you old enough to join the military?

It can't be worse than what you've got unless some republicunt shithead wins the presidency.  Then, you might get killed in a pointless war.

Still seems like it would be an improvement over listening to those morons you're stuck with.
He he ...good luck man. You sound level headed.
This is another first world problem you will survive!

As you know, in some countries, they have NOTHING to complain about!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Welcome to the forum, thank you for telling us your story.

I'm really sorry to hear about it. You shouldn't have to put up with any of this crap. It should be illegal. I'm glad you've seen the bullshit for what it is, and I hope you can find a way out to get a place of your own soon. Your Aunt sounds like a control freak Sad

Enjoy the forums, you're among friends here!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Hi! Hi Welcome to the forums!

Here are your welcome waffles c:

I'm sorry to hear about all that. It seems like you're a tough nut to crack for them. No surprise, reading the Bible is the best way to become an atheist. The pastor's shameless cop out was priceless. Looks like you poked hours cognitive dissonance.

Good on you for seeing through the bullshit man. Hang in there
Is there the possibility to simply leave and find e.g. a shared apartment somewhere on your own which you can afford with your job?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome!

I echo everyone else.  Getting out sooner than later will be better for you in the end.
Strange... why are you so dependent on your aunt for lodging?
You have a job, can't you afford some place to live? Damn, living in the US must be tough!
I was wondering the same. Financial dependence on older relatives always comes with a lot of strings attached. The cost is still there but repaid in a different way.
(July 28, 2015 at 7:05 am)Alex K Wrote: Is there the possibility to simply leave and find e.g. a shared apartment somewhere on your own which you can afford with your job?

This.  You have a job, can you not simply find a normal apartment with roommates?
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is atheism worth living for? MarcusA 74 3441 September 3, 2023 at 9:42 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Your point of living? joe90 82 10299 May 9, 2019 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
Exclamation Considering atheism [Currently Christian] MellisaClarke 68 22812 July 9, 2017 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Stupid Book 'Abundant Living' RiddledWithFear 8 1846 December 20, 2016 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The Joy of Living Dangerously; Sanderson of Oundle FebruaryOfReason 1 1147 February 7, 2016 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Best Living Spokesman for Atheism athrock 167 26071 December 30, 2015 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  i think we are living in the end times! Rextos 5 1742 December 17, 2015 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Which type of Political Atheism is most influential in human society currently? CristW 19 4757 February 20, 2015 at 9:51 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Atheists living in very religious places, do you have moments of doubt? Alex K 16 3628 October 31, 2014 at 10:53 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Dinosaurs and Man Living Together? Duke Guilmon 39 9976 April 30, 2014 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut