Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 3:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watching my cat, thinking about god and human nature
RE: Watching my cat, thinking about god and human nature
(July 15, 2017 at 11:19 pm)Aliza Wrote:
(July 15, 2017 at 10:11 pm)Astonished Wrote: The first sentence is a compound sentence but still a question. Perhaps you require it to be dumbed-down somewhat.

That would be awesome. Break it down for me because what I read seemed to be a proposal for a question that you didn't have the ballsack to follow through on actually asking.

Maybe I read it wrong. I'm majoring in physics, not English. Go ahead and break it down for me.

Physics isn't my cup of tea. Doesn't make sense to me having to memorize how to apply different formulas to every slight variation of every conceivable situation but I still have to take a second semester of it for my chem major. Chem is much more fixed when it comes to that kind of thing. Organic's a bitch though. Too similar to Bio which is even worse.

The question is, since you are honest enough to acknowledge that it's not necessary to adopt a tradition of faith in order to live a life of the same sort of standard you seem to enjoy, why be okay with living a lifestyle of the religious sort (not necessarily your own, or your particular flavor) when the flaws that come with it are causing others misery on a daily basis? It just seems like lending credibility to faith, any faith, whether intentional or not (i.e. practicing vs. cultural), helps strengthe its stranglehold over others and propagates the insanity that results. More voices proudly proclaiming to reject all of it would logically be the more appropriate response if one had the choice in the matter, I would think. So given that you should be able to live life without losing anything so meaningful as to make you incapable of making the previous admission, I don't see why the leap couldn't be made. I don't know whether you were already on the path to abandoning it or planning on transmitting it to the generation that follows but I would hope this possibility at least crossed your mind.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Watching my cat, thinking about god and human nature - by Astonished - July 16, 2017 at 12:26 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A critical thinking challenge Foxaèr 18 4451 June 15, 2018 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Drich
  what believers accept without thinking Akat4891 17 6430 June 14, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Nature's reasoning for religion... maestroanth 4 1517 May 20, 2016 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Wishful Thinking a powerful (but negative) force? Edwardo Piet 12 3972 October 30, 2015 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Binary religious thinking robvalue 37 10209 October 25, 2015 at 4:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The difference between a chocolate rabbit and a human? ReptilianPeon 7 3898 August 22, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Critical thinking...or the lack thereof tonechaser77 27 8985 July 2, 2015 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  About sinful nature, sexual pleasures? Coreni 20 4942 June 26, 2015 at 9:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 20301 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Religion/god is just wishful thinking. frz 53 19912 April 21, 2013 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Soyouz