Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 5:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morality from the ground up
RE: Morality from the ground up
(August 4, 2017 at 12:48 am)bennyboy Wrote: They definitely had reasons to gas the Jews.  They wrote books and books about their reasons, and shouted them at political rallies.  We just wouldn't consider them sufficient reasons for the murder of human beings on that Dantean scale.
Reasons™
Quote:I don't see how any mammal can be seen as insufficiently sentient not to deserve moral consideration.  I mean, mother cows cry when you take away their baby cows.  Crying mothers are sad, no?
Other mammals feature heavily in our moral considerations.  Funny thing about that, most of them are dumb as a bag of rocks.  Mammals benefit greatly from familiarity and comfort.  Meanwhile, a great many non mammalian species that we have good reason to believe have a rich interior life are given little to no regard.  

Quote:And you've touched on another thing-- the idea of property, and that for sure is a human thing.  I sometimes wonder if it is morally reprehensible or morally necessary to separate people from unhealthy attachments: like if someone can't live because she's grown her fingernails to be 15 feet long, I wonder if the best thing wouldn't be to jump her with a pair of scissors.
Property isn't uniquely human, we just have the most amusingly elaborate rituals regarding property - a somewhat new wrinkle for our species, so far as we can tell.  I suppose that whether or not a person thinks that there's a moral compulsion to remove someones property (or any unhealthy attachment) touches on a persons idea of sovereignty.  We confiscate cats from cat ladies (and lion ladies..if you're from florida, lol).  We intervene in the case of addicts and baker act unstable people.  So..it certainly seems that at least in some cases the scales tip towards necessity.......though, my aunt collects ceramic clowns.  Lots of them.  A disturbingly large amount of them.  She's doing great now - but there was a rough patch in her life where she probably should have spent whatever meager cash she had on food, rather than clowns.  If somebody came and confiscated her clowns, most of us would probably consider that to be morally reprehensible.  So, case by case basis?  There seems to be a threshold of self harm that we're comfortable with, possibly because intervening in every case would be even more harmful - a totalitarian moralizing society has been tried time and time again...it ends poorly.  

Quote:I dunno.  I fear death more than most kinds of suffering and loss of property.  I'm pretty sure that there are some "Angel of Death" murderers who think they are freeing highly-suffering people by releasing them into the peace of death.
The latter can be safely ignored in any rational morality.  Their opinions are not only suspect, but irrelevant to the subject of what is right.  In any case, I'm not sure that a fear of death is really operable in this context.  Sure, we fear our deaths - but we don't condemn each other morally for being mortal.  We don;t condemn each other for all killing either.  It;s only a subset of death that's widely considered immoral in an absolute sense.  Murder.  Senseless killing.  Killing for Reasons™.

Quote:It takes effort and resources to draw earth's materials into an animated form.  Death releases those materials, and is in that sense on undoing of all the effort that went into it.  Assuming that we see life as a struggle against entropy, and that we take this struggle as good, then I think you could define death as harm.
Personally, I see death as an inevitability.  Not, in and of itself, harmful.  The only time I would attach some moral component to a natural death is when some other person could prevent it, and the person didn't want to die.  Or if, by harming another, you caused an untimely death.  Both are subject to many, many qualifications.  In general, I avoid killing shit where I can.  

Wasn't always this way, though.  I don't know if I ever had occasion to tell you this story whenever we were chatting..but-  When I was maybe six or seven, I got a daisy bb gun.  One of those little pump handle deals that you could shoot somebody with and leave, maybe, a welt.  My grandfather though, big time hunter.  I wanted to be just like him.  So, I was always looking for stuff to shoot that the bb gun might be able to kill.  Lizards, cicadas, cockroaches, snakes, small birds.  On top of that, bb's from those little guns (if you never had one) have a tendency to curve at random.  They're slow enough to watch from the barrel out - which i guess is a mesmerizing part of the fixation.  So - whatever you were going to reliably hit..it had to be close..and preferably stationary.   The juiciest target, all things considered, were songbirds in the nest.  So, me being me, I pop this little songbird...and it falls right out and down.  Immediately, I have a sinking sort of feeling - but, also, it was fascinating - until mama bird flew down.  She buzzed me a few times and then landed there, by the dead bird, and started chirping.  It seemed, at the time, that her chirps were a frantic accusation.  It was so loud in my ears and the shame I felt became so pronounced that there was only one thing to do.  I shot her too.  I immediately realized that I would never be the great white hunter.  I only ended up going hunting with my grandfather once.  We went out to a palmetto hammock in NW Florida, by the Suwannee, where Ichetucknee Spring flows down through the Sante Fe and the headwaters meat.  It was a long ride at four in the morning.  We ate funnel cake we had from the state fair and drank cold coffee.  I was anxious, the whole way, I knew he had expectations and that it would be difficult for me to play it off if I couldn't shoot a deer.  I was fourteen by this time so I'd been shooting for a decade.  It wasn't like he'd have believed me if I told him I missed.  Deep down, I knew I couldn't.  We spent the morning in a tree stand over some apple dusted corn he;d laid out the week before.  We're ambush hunters and poachers...not wandering through the brush tracking types, lol.  I got lucky, ultimately, when we finally saw a deer in the wild I was so excited that I almost jumped out of the stand and I shout "Poppy Look!" - so, ofc, that thing bolts at top speed into the fronds.  "There's another one!" - again, off into the woods.   spent the rest of the time using my rifle like a heavy set of binos - which is mostly how I use it today when I go hunting.  There wasn't a single deer I couldn't scare off on accident before he could shoot it.  He never even discussed taking me again.  Still doesn;t..though I did get over that anxiety later in life.  Now I play follow up shot to necks with deer fever, who miss and maim.  Mostly, though, I just like hanging out in the woods.  I like setting the stands in the right spots.  I like staring at the deer through my scope...sometimes I make little "pop" noises with my lips and whisper, under my breath "gotya bitch".  I still ruin other peoples hunts, but I've learned to do it casually as a running joke.  "Hey Bill....there's an 8 pointer, right over there."  Oops, there he went.  Maybe next time.  My buddies joke that I'm batting for the other side, lol.

So, I guess for you it was a car and a caribou - which, frankly, would make my stomach turn.  For me, it was a pair of robins and a bb gun. Still, I've been known to hack snakes to pieces with a machete while shouting at them, and when I go fishing, I carry a hammer handle to beat gar and any other inedible before I throw it back into the water. I'm not much for kjilling chickens, my grandmother made me spin their necks with my hands and pluck em as a child..and I kindof like watching them peck around and play dinosaur, lol. I'll club a stray with a shovel if it screws with with the henhouses - which is easy to do, since they seem to think that human beings are their friends and benefactors.....and -anything- that fucks with my pig, Pig Pig. Obviously, I've been known to pull the trigger back at people.

So, spotty, right? Still, no matter what my reasons for killing something may be, there's a certain uneasiness that I;ve just learned to live with. It's not like I don't understand that I'm inflicting the greatest and most final sort of harm. I even think about it when I spray pesticides, which isn;t very often. Spiders are welcome in my home (despite Missy's -strenuous- protestations Wink ). I suppose there's a ritual to it, for me, and a pronounced sense that all of this death links us together. Birds and spiders and snakes and dogs and deer and cattle and caribou...and human beings. It wouldn;t really surprise me if I ended up getting kicked by a horse or gored by a bull, bitten by a copperhead..someday, when I;m old and feeble or just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I suppose I;d rather go out that way than after a long infirmity through illness. In that sense, something finally killing me, for a change, could be seen as a mercy. Not just for myself but for all of the things I would invariably kill with every passing day.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
Morality from the ground up - by bennyboy - July 31, 2017 at 10:28 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by ignoramus - August 1, 2017 at 12:14 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by bennyboy - August 1, 2017 at 3:13 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by ignoramus - August 1, 2017 at 3:17 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - August 1, 2017 at 4:07 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by bennyboy - August 1, 2017 at 6:18 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 1, 2017 at 8:17 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by brewer - August 1, 2017 at 9:20 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Succubus - August 1, 2017 at 1:29 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by LadyForCamus - August 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by brewer - August 1, 2017 at 3:30 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 1, 2017 at 2:34 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by LadyForCamus - August 1, 2017 at 2:40 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 1, 2017 at 2:45 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Neo-Scholastic - August 1, 2017 at 5:08 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Astonished - August 1, 2017 at 11:38 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Neo-Scholastic - August 2, 2017 at 11:08 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by bennyboy - August 1, 2017 at 7:46 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by ignoramus - August 1, 2017 at 8:32 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Amarok - August 1, 2017 at 8:32 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 1, 2017 at 9:01 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by bennyboy - August 2, 2017 at 1:25 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Astonished - August 2, 2017 at 1:39 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by bennyboy - August 2, 2017 at 2:45 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Astonished - August 2, 2017 at 11:31 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by bennyboy - August 2, 2017 at 7:19 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Astonished - August 2, 2017 at 7:23 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by bennyboy - August 2, 2017 at 7:30 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Whateverist - August 1, 2017 at 10:53 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by brewer - August 2, 2017 at 7:09 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by ErGingerbreadMandude - August 1, 2017 at 11:21 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 2, 2017 at 7:01 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by bennyboy - August 2, 2017 at 7:26 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 2, 2017 at 7:17 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 2, 2017 at 7:29 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by bennyboy - August 2, 2017 at 7:36 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 2, 2017 at 7:34 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Astonished - August 2, 2017 at 7:58 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 2, 2017 at 7:46 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by bennyboy - August 2, 2017 at 8:10 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 2, 2017 at 8:14 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Amarok - August 2, 2017 at 8:17 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by bennyboy - August 2, 2017 at 9:23 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Astonished - August 2, 2017 at 10:40 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by bennyboy - August 3, 2017 at 12:44 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Astonished - August 3, 2017 at 9:35 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by bennyboy - August 3, 2017 at 5:28 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 2, 2017 at 8:25 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Angrboda - August 3, 2017 at 12:10 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by bennyboy - August 3, 2017 at 12:49 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Angrboda - August 3, 2017 at 3:30 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 3, 2017 at 12:48 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Angrboda - August 3, 2017 at 3:26 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 3, 2017 at 12:53 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Court Jester - August 3, 2017 at 9:43 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Neo-Scholastic - August 3, 2017 at 1:00 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 3, 2017 at 9:55 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 3, 2017 at 3:29 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 3, 2017 at 4:10 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 3, 2017 at 6:20 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by bennyboy - August 3, 2017 at 8:42 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by Astonished - August 3, 2017 at 10:24 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 3, 2017 at 10:42 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by bennyboy - August 4, 2017 at 12:48 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 4, 2017 at 10:15 am
RE: Morality from the ground up - by bennyboy - August 4, 2017 at 5:05 pm
RE: Morality from the ground up - by The Grand Nudger - August 4, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 2346 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 11348 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 41678 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1419 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8543 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3715 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4618 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  Morality WinterHold 24 3133 November 1, 2017 at 1:36 pm
  What is morality? Mystic 48 7420 September 3, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Autonomous vehicle objective morality! ignoramus 0 820 July 26, 2017 at 5:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus