Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 11:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN]
RE: Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN]
(August 29, 2017 at 10:57 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Bolded mine.  I mean, yeah, you're being supremely cynical.

Yeah, well - studios and networks, who front the hundreds of millions for production have a vested interest in and a history of interfering with the creative process. How many Hollywood movies and TV shows have been ruined, because the money-people and their test-audiences decided what's the preferable story, to the one intended by the creator? I'm not sure why I should think, that GRRM is in some sort of position of power in his relationship with people, who pay him. And OBVIOUSLY nobody's going to come out and say - "Yeah, we forced the fat old fart to agree to the ending our focus groups said would sell more advertisement slots."

(August 29, 2017 at 10:57 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote:  I enjoyed the season, even with its flaws, and I trust that GRRM gave enough information to D&D about the ending of the series that it'll be something satisfying - even if it's (as GRRM described) bittersweet.  It seems like you don't like a single thing about the show anymore, from your posts, why are you still watching it if it's turned into cliche fantasy trash?  Unless you just enjoy hating it, which makes you even more of a cynic.

I started watching it, so I'll finish. There certainly are bits of the show I still enjoy, especially the cinematography, but I don't see much point in praising those, if I have to constantly turn a blind eye to dumb and inconsistent stuff. Especially, that there's a good chance, that a bit I like will turn into sh*t in the next episode.

Like - sure, it was quite "cool", when Arya went to Bravos and began training with the Faceless Men. But of course - that plot turned into an utter mess, of which most people still can't make much sense. Oh, well - never mind. Cut to Arya already in Westeros, as a fully-fledged assassin, a swordsman (even though we never saw her train with a sword, while at the House of Black and White - the Needle was in fact hidden away during her stay at the House).

It was kind of "cool", when a bunch of bad-ass characters went out on a caper beyond the Wall, in order to catch a dead guy, as evidence for the existence of the dead army (although, seriously - that plan would have made a lot more sense few years ago). But, of course, in the very next episode it all turned to sh*t, because apparently their best retreat plan involved running in the direction other than towards the Wall, then sitting around in the middle of a lake, waiting for Gendry to run all the way back to the Wall (and hoping he doesn't get caught by the zombie bears, or whatever), then for a raven to fly over 1000 miles to Dragonstone and then for Daenerys to immediately drop everything, fly the 1000+ miles back north, find them and rescue them at the last moment.

And to make matters worse - the show seems to be trying so hard to make Jon Snow look like a bad-ass, that they keep turning him into a complete and utter moron. That was the case at the beginning of the Battle of the Bastards (or perhaps now it should be "Battle of a Bastard and a Secret Targaryen, Who's Parents Were Married, Because They Loved Each Other Very, Very Much") and that was the case this time, when Jon refused to get on the dragon, choosing instead to keep fighting zombies by himself, one-by-one, while Daenerys and the rest of the sitting ducks waited to be speared by the White Walker (who, for some reason decided to aim at flying target first, rather than the one immobilized on the ground).

Who cares if the show looks good, has some cool battle-scenes, and some decent actors, when you have to put up with infantile nonsense, only meant to please teenagers and people who aren't paying attention?
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Messages In This Thread
RE: Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] - by Homeless Nutter - August 29, 2017 at 12:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Captain Marvel movie w/ spoilers Rahn127 0 387 March 9, 2019 at 2:04 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  I wan't to express, that I disliked Rick and Morty season 3 Der/die AtheistIn 38 3759 February 6, 2019 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  'Tis the Season (almost) -- your favorite Nativity photos here! Jehanne 38 3606 December 27, 2018 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Upcoming movie movie trailer discussion Alex K 50 7166 October 22, 2018 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  X-Files season 11 (maybe) Silver 10 2142 January 26, 2018 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
Tongue Let's talk Black Mirror season 4 Aoi Magi 23 4174 January 15, 2018 at 9:35 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Which is the best survivor season? ErGingerbreadMandude 4 1173 October 22, 2017 at 9:34 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Game of Thrones Season 7 trailer, "The Long Walk" Aegon 3 996 March 30, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Do not watch the movie, "The Arrival" because it is pro-life propaganda. {Spoilers} Silver 21 5427 February 6, 2017 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Hey Ho's, anyone else watching Survivor this season: GenX'ers vs Millennials Whateverist 3 1403 December 2, 2016 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Aegon