Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 1:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN]
RE: Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN]
(August 29, 2017 at 11:42 am)Aroura Wrote: I'm not trying to pick on you, but really?  It seems that the show has cut out all the fat, and if anything, has become a bit too streamlined.

Season 7 - perhaps. But before that, especially in season 6 there was plenty of "fat", like the Dorne plot, or Arya's antics with the Waif in Bravos. Not to mention Jorah's rather pointless grey-scale (the actual point of which was - from what I heard - for the actor to be free for some movie he was doing at the time). And w

(August 29, 2017 at 11:42 am)Aroura Wrote:  Martin was the king of half baked plots that ended up being of no consequence, and the last 2 books were full of meandering plots, and predictable twists.

Face it,  Martin lost control of this narrative at least 2 books ago. The current state of the story can be laid directly at his feet. His trick of pretending to kill off main characters for shock value could only last so long.

Maybe. However, books are quite a ways behind the show, so I won't be b*tching about them, until upon the release of the next one it becomes clear to me, that Martin lost a grip on his story. Secondly - many of the meandering plots of the last 2 books, involving way too many characters with unpronounceable names, are fairly developed stories all of their own, even if they ultimately may become inconsequential, whereas in the show things like the Dorne plot, Littlefinger's money-lending schemes, or Daenerys' Mereen plot were barely touched upon and then abruptly ended, when it became clear, that either the writers didn't know what to do with them, or that the audience was not particularly keen on them. I mean - if the Dorne plot in the books ends in the same way it did on the show, I'll be pretty miffed.

(August 29, 2017 at 11:42 am)Aroura Wrote: That being said, again imho, it's still a good story that I'm still looking forward to seeing the conclusion of.

The strength of the story lies in the expansive world that's been set-up and the characters populating it. Lost, or Dexter were arguably "good stories", although the conclusions were underwhelming, to say the least.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Messages In This Thread
RE: Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] - by Homeless Nutter - August 29, 2017 at 1:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Captain Marvel movie w/ spoilers Rahn127 0 367 March 9, 2019 at 2:04 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  I wan't to express, that I disliked Rick and Morty season 3 Der/die AtheistIn 38 2925 February 6, 2019 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  'Tis the Season (almost) -- your favorite Nativity photos here! Jehanne 38 3041 December 27, 2018 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Upcoming movie movie trailer discussion Alex K 50 6423 October 22, 2018 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  X-Files season 11 (maybe) Foxaèr 10 1977 January 26, 2018 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
Tongue Let's talk Black Mirror season 4 Aoi Magi 23 3928 January 15, 2018 at 9:35 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Which is the best survivor season? ErGingerbreadMandude 4 1095 October 22, 2017 at 9:34 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Game of Thrones Season 7 trailer, "The Long Walk" Aegon 3 956 March 30, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Do not watch the movie, "The Arrival" because it is pro-life propaganda. {Spoilers} Foxaèr 21 5129 February 6, 2017 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Hey Ho's, anyone else watching Survivor this season: GenX'ers vs Millennials Whateverist 3 1341 December 2, 2016 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Aegon