Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 29, 2024, 7:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you do if you found out God existed
RE: What would you do if you found out God existed
(October 5, 2017 at 7:53 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(October 5, 2017 at 7:42 pm)Succubus Wrote: You do understand hypothetical questions have only hypothetical answers don't you?

Yes, and so far only 2 people have given their hypothetical answer to my hypothetical question.

(October 5, 2017 at 7:42 pm)Losty Wrote: Also, why do people think atheists hate the idea of having to answer to an authority on the matter of any wrong doings? That's never been what it's about for me. I've never thought to myself how awful it would be for people to have to answer for the things they've done wrong. I do sometimes think how awful it would be to live for eternity with people who've done monsterous things and have been forgiven simply because they accepted Jesus into their hearts.

It's been my impression that many on this board hate the idea of a god of any sort. But perhaps I have misunderstood.

I would say I hate the idea of the christian god, not the idea of gods in general.  The christian god will punish you for all eternity for using your critical thinking.

(October 5, 2017 at 8:20 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(October 5, 2017 at 8:15 pm)Losty Wrote: Ok. I wouldn't. Can you explain to me why a person would feel remorseful towards God for a mistake they made that did god no harm? I don't get it. If I had sex with Carl's wife, why would I be sorry to God for that? I genuinely don't understand.

Because the belief is that our wrongdoings hurt God. Specifically those wrongdoings that hurt other people, because each one of those people are God's children.

...Anyway, that's the idea behind why we ask forgiveness from God, so that's what I was going for when I mentioned feeling remorse on the OP.

Hurt god.  Has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

(October 5, 2017 at 9:23 pm)Godscreated Wrote:
(October 5, 2017 at 7:05 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: I would be forced to believe.

But here's the thing.  There are a lot of "ifs" in this scenario.

For instance, discovering that god is all good.  That would immediately mean that the character, as described in the OT, didn't exist.  At least not in the way he is described (jealous, spiteful, wrathful, etc). This immediately brings up the question on which is the true nature of the deity and, indeed, is the god before me the actual being from the OT?

Has he grown up/matured, into the being I've just met? Is the OT description completely wrong (making me question the veracity of the whole book).

If he was, indeed, misrepresented and has always been good, I guess I could support getting to know him better, though worship would be a long way off.

Scenarios are always full of ifs, you should know you have started a few of them, that's why I do not like them and find them to be mostly a waste of time, except for this one it will be interesting to see what is said. You also make a valid point, God would be forcing you to believe and that's why God does things the way He does, He wants us to come to Him on faith because He knows it will lead to love.
I see things already getting interesting and CL hit it on the head, you will say anything so God want be real in this life to you. Excuses will not get you anywhere on the day of your judgement.

GC

Bullshit.  All of the people who have believed and it just led to atheism? It's their fault, of course.  This is the argument of a con man. 

How is knowing the truth forcing someone to believe?  If you know god exists, as in this scenario, you don't believe, you accept the facts.

(October 5, 2017 at 9:24 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: It's not out of the woods if you know God exists, then comes truly knowing the path to him and taking it, which is recognizing his name among the false names. Knowing God exists is easy, knowing who God is and the path to him, that takes another level. And knowing that path, and taking it, is exactly a whole different thing, and knowing the path and way and door doesn't mean you will enter it and take it.

All praise to God of all the guidance and insights and proofs he has helped me with and I ask forgiveness for every ungrateful act of disobedience and every lack of will towards embracing his name and submitting to him.

More babbling.

(October 5, 2017 at 9:30 pm)Godscreated Wrote:
(October 5, 2017 at 7:18 pm)Joods Wrote: I would ask him if there really was a divine plan and if so, why doesn't he tell people how useless and greedy prayer is.

I would ask him why he allows for suffering all over the world.

I would ask him why he created people with sin if he really is/was responsible for the creation of the earth. Seriously, he could have left out that whole part, saving a shit ton of trouble.

I would ask him why he's been such a fucking asshole to allow my daughter to be separated from me by an abusive, narcissistic piece of shit who should be in jail.

I would ask him why he's taken over 2000 years to finally show up.

I would ask him how, after he's allowed horrible things to happen and he finally shows his face, he expects anyone to trust and just believe that he is indeed this mysterious "god" being.

I would tell him what a low life asshole he is. I would tell him that he has no right to ask anyone to worship him since he allowed terrible things to happen. And I would ask him what a "supreme being" actually needs with money since he can literally conjure up anything he wants to.

And then I would walk away and life my life just as I have been doing, still believing that there is no god.

You just do not understand, not even the what if put before you. I can answer those questions of yours the Bible deals with them and you would know if you cared to read it. Sin answers most of your questions, and God did not create sin Lucifer brought it into existence and man swallowed it hook line and sinker and now we suffer for it. If God were to appear before you you wouldn't be able to say anything, but hey believe as you wish but one day soon enough you will meet Him face to face and you will be speechless.

GC

But you seem to be so intellectually challenged that you don't understand that learning about a deity from a deity would be different than hearing about a deity from ignorant people who learned it from a book full of contradictions and/or are making it up as they go along.

Maybe you can do us a favor and start the speechless part ahead of time.

(October 5, 2017 at 9:32 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(October 5, 2017 at 8:23 pm)Losty Wrote: I suppose if I really believed my wrong doing had hurt god I would be sorry to him.

You need to understand the oneness of existence.

Everything is God and God is everything but nothing in particular.

If you love the Prophet, you have loved both God and all goodness in creation, and every living part of creation, because of the tree of life model which is the reality, we are connected by fabrics of "value" "giving measurement due" "love", which is really how things are created,  just as the uncleanness all emerges from the spirit of Satan,  the good in creation all emerge from the chosen ones and chosen guides.

And if you love the Prophet, you love primarily because he is the way to God, and because the way to God is being a mercy creation.

When you see the throne of God and the noble true kingdom and light,  you will see that any disregard towards any right, was rebellion to God, and God cares about people more than they care about themselves, that is why Quran emphasizes when we oppress ourselves and do injustice towards our own soul, we remember God and ask forgiveness from him.

Beware the Jabberwock...

(October 5, 2017 at 9:32 pm)Godscreated Wrote:
(October 5, 2017 at 7:23 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The appearance of a God would make me want to go to Hell, where all the interesting people would be.

In hell you will not be able to see anyone else, hell is described as a place of total darkness, you will be able to hear them in all their agony as they will be able to hear you.

GC

It would probably seem normal to you, with your head up your ass and all...

(October 5, 2017 at 9:49 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Catholic Lady, God did appear to me, but I showed utter hate to him till it drove me insane, and allowed the devils to this day to over take my soul and keep me away from his remembrance.

I always thought I would show nothing but love to God if I was sure he existed but I recall things vividly now, and when I shown the truth, I hated it, and went back to the darkness.  

I have forgotten God from then on, and an evil spirit/demon has been what overwhelmed me and all I see, and all I rely on.

I been trying to destroy it through the name of God and leader of God, but I've become blind to the light, I don't know which sword is the sword of God when I been so use to falsehood.

All I can tell you, the hardest of trials is when you stand before God, and you are expected to show etiquette. I showed hate and dislike, and showed fear of him out of hate, till I ran away and became insane after becoming welcomed to the place of the chosen ones and holy valley.

I don't know if I will ever forgive myself,  perhaps if I find God's Name among the falsehoods, and recognize his tree of light among the false trees,  I wil redeem myself and remember him.

But I realize now all I understand is what in theory the path of God would be, what in theory Quran teaches, what in theory is the face of God, what in theory is the leaders who leads and guides to God, but I have not recognized neither myself, neither God, neither the leaders and means and path to God.

I see nothing but shadows and trying to fight with a stick (reason) from God to light a way by which I will recognize the name of God and face of God.

You are one deranged puppy.

(October 5, 2017 at 10:11 pm)Crossless2.0 Wrote:
(October 5, 2017 at 10:07 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Having genuine remorse for past mistakes takes humility and introspection. Don't undermine those great qualities, which you obviously have. <3

Humility and introspection are good qualities, to be sure. But this degree of self-loathing seems more like inverted megalomania.

Darkest of souls? Deserving worse punishment than most people on earth? Really?   Rolleyes

Apparently not humble enough to recognize he could be wrong about the god thing.
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."  - Samuel Porter Putnam

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you do if you found out God existed - by Harry Nevis - October 6, 2017 at 9:30 am
RE: What would you do if you found out God existed - by c172 - October 6, 2017 at 12:31 am
RE: What would you do if you found out God existed - by Joods - October 13, 2017 at 10:04 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Shocking Reflection]: Finally, I found Mohammed's name in the Bible and the Torah WinterHold 105 6797 November 26, 2022 at 1:29 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
  Sodom found? HappySkeptic 46 3547 October 9, 2021 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Someone should tell these people Buddha never existed Vincenzo Vinny G. 14 4805 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1460 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Jesus tomb found! << click bait for religious>> ignoramus 17 2945 December 23, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What would you say to a god if you met one? The Valkyrie 37 4403 June 1, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  God and Death, dying out. WinterHold 13 2335 May 14, 2018 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  People in bible never existed according to head of Theology at a university in UK! MellisaClarke 79 15950 January 3, 2018 at 12:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Would God be an atheist? Martian Mermaid 41 7162 November 16, 2017 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What would you do if you found out that I was God? Aegon 16 2674 October 8, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Aegon