Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 3:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(LONG) "I Don't Know" as a Good Answer in Ethics
RE: (LONG) "I Don't Know" as a Good Answer in Ethics
(November 21, 2017 at 2:04 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Not so much, no.  I think it has merit, and was a good start...but it's long in the tooth at this point.  Beyond the dry paradox of hedonism mentioned earlier, are you familiar with the case of the happy businessman?  

He does what he does because it brings him joy.  He's happy because he has a successful career, he's respected by his neighbors, and is in a loving marriage.  Or, at least he thinks he is.  The truth is that he's held in utter contempt by his peers and neighbors..and has been horribly deceived by his adulterous wife...who is taking him to the cleaners on the sly.  

Not only is this a subtle variation of the hedonists paradox (should he keep doing what he's doing, since it makes him happy?) it's a criticism of what moral or ethical realists might call mental statism.  The notion that virtue or value is determined by something wholly internal and personal.  Deeply subjective and commonly in factual error. 

The happy businessman's life is a good one, by the metrics of hedonism or any form of mental statism....but would you want it...?

(credit to kagan and nagel for that little gem, lol)

I am familiar with the businessman example. These sorts of problems plague every iteration of ethical monism, and it causes me to consider pluralism. I find myself seeing value in each and every one of the monistic theories, and I can't help thinking that each one says something important about ethics. As far as monistic theories go, I really like utilitarian hedonism and virtue ethics. Virtue ethics is SO compelling, but also problematic. This isn't to say that desire satisfaction and others aren't appealing as well. If I had to pick one at gunpoint, I suppose utilitarianism would be the one. Otherwise, I'd have to put myself in the undecided category.

In meta-ethics, I tend toward moral objectivism but I've yet to hear a satisfying response to error theory, so nihilism haunts me with its nightmares. How about you? What theories do you find most attractive?

(November 21, 2017 at 3:34 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Also my view, the development of ethics may be very simple and rooted in biology. The ethics of survival, of self, then family, then herd, then society.

I agree with you that natural selection is the most likely culprit in the formation of our moral sense.

Assuming that the development of ethics is rooted in biology, I'm interested in your opinion of how we should proceed with developing our ethical thinking. Should we, in the development of our ethics, continue to prioritize survival/self/family/herd/society, or should we (now that we are civilized and rational) proceed with an ethical development based on principles?

Messages In This Thread
RE: (LONG) "I Don't Know" as a Good Answer in Ethics - by vulcanlogician - November 21, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism and Ethics Lucian 80 773 40 minutes ago
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ethics of Neutrality John 6IX Breezy 16 1497 November 20, 2023 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ethics of Fashion John 6IX Breezy 60 4138 August 9, 2022 at 3:11 pm
  [Serious] Ethics Disagreeable 44 4224 March 23, 2022 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: deepend
  Machine Intelligence and Human Ethics BrianSoddingBoru4 24 2061 May 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How do we know what we know? Aegon 15 2005 October 22, 2018 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  What is the point of multiple types of ethics? Macoleco 12 1228 October 2, 2018 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Trolley Problem/Consistency in Ethics vulcanlogician 150 18544 January 30, 2018 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  A good argument for God's existence (long but worth it) Mystic 179 33769 October 26, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Very short version of the long argument. Mystic 68 10901 September 18, 2017 at 9:38 am