Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 3:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems?
RE: *trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems?
(December 2, 2017 at 11:36 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(December 1, 2017 at 9:08 pm)PhilosophicalZebra Wrote: Hi, all Smile

I used to frequent these forums just over two years ago when I was a staunch atheist myself - I used to post anti-religion memes on Facebook, thought Richard Dawkins was super cool, laughed at the *obviously* intellectually inferior religious fools (because the only measure of one's intelligence is whether they refute a god and submit themselves to the great and glorious concept of ~rationalism~ - right?), and generally, I acted like a very proper atheist.

However I do agree with you that some atheist people do seem to be a bit too preoccupied and even upset about other people believing. People like that do indeed remind me of the more extreme religious folks That try to force their beliefs down your throat through name calling and mockery. Two sides of the same coin with these type of people, so I agree with you there.

(December 2, 2017 at 11:37 am)PhilosophicalZebra Wrote: You were a shitty atheist.

Ha, so there are levels of goodness and properness for an atheist and how they conduct themselves? Sounds suspiciously like other world views that you seem to disagree with.

As for the good and bad concept existing: Because we still live in a society which has religious concepts entrenched in our culture, we don't see that good and bad are concepts which at a fundamental level were heavily influenced by religion. Things like helping those who are needy and putting others before ourselves. And even though religion is starting to die, these parts of it have still survived even though we now often mistakenly think they are nothing do with religion. Imagine no religion at all and just a cold Darwinian style society which never had religion - how do you define good and bad?

By your own admission you were a shitty atheist, meaning you behaved arrogantly and with little self reflection before .. exactly the kind of atheist C_L was saying are the counterpart to the worst sort of theists.  I stand behind what I said and I'm surprised if you see that as an ad hominem.

Messages In This Thread
RE: *trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems? - by Whateverist - December 2, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanism seems fun FrustratedFool 50 2970 August 24, 2023 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 5276 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheism seems to rise in Turkey Woah0 1 853 September 11, 2022 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Does the roo knows all the answers to atheism Gummro 44 8390 January 29, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  What atheism is REALLY all about SisterAgatha 71 10652 October 13, 2017 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27433 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Are the words "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists? Mystical 54 6074 January 3, 2017 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Are the wlrds "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists? Mystical 8 1574 January 2, 2017 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Mystical
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4641 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  Am I a Deist? Cosmological Argument seems reasonable to me. _Velvet_ 97 15677 September 28, 2016 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet