Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo
300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3JIdCruIpo
RE: 300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo
(October 14, 2016 at 7:56 pm)mralstoner Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3JIdCruIpo

He is absolutely right in that the sense of community is what drives religious movements, cults and many other forms of human organization

The problem with replicating that to atheism (or "humanism") is that wen you are irreligious, there is no compelling reason to congregate and give up a part of your autonomy. Atheism is not a religion. It has no doctrine, no requirement to meet other atheists, no requirement to spread the "faith" (for the lack of a better term) and atheism has no clearly defined borders (a lot of self-reporting atheists believe in bullshit spiritualism experiences). 

There are also other reasons to stay religious. A lot of families reject atheists outright. As a result, some would question the value of denouncing one's faith and putting their own relationships on the line. Religious communities also start preaching to their kids from a very young age. It is difficult for people with lower levels of intelligence to see through the bullshit. 

A lot of countries have penalties for those who denounce the state religion (eg: Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Iran etc..), some countries dont have these penalties but society as a whole is very hostile to atheists and this could make life a living hell (eg: India, Bible belt America, Turkey). Even in Western tolerant countries, atheists are among the most untrusted people. Who would want to be identified as such?
Atheism also has a bad reputation for (wrongly) being associated with autocratic communist dictatorships such as the USSR, Cuba, Vietnam and China. 

It is also easier to find a significant other when one is religious... there is also the aspect of marriage which some people might like.

It is quite interesting how atheism has not grown in 300 years post-enlightenment. You would think more people would come to their senses. I suspect a lot of people question religion and after years of Western education come to the conclusion that it is all bullshit... Yet the cost of stating such a thing openly outweighs any benefit such an identity will bring. 

I for one am an atheist and cannot think of anything conventional religion can say or do that will change my mind in any profound way. Yet, I still go through the rituals of religion when at home or with friends just so I dont raise any eyebrows or burn any bridges.
I still talk about atheism with those who have a sympathetic ear and those who may believe in a similar sort of thing as I do.
Yeah, cuz what everyone really wants is a solid movement to merge with.[/sarcasm]

Atheism is about not believing in God, and that's about it - atheists need not have anything in common apart from that... movements are usually about something, why would we even expect that a real movement can be based on not believing one specific thing?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

You know what?

Individualism is what's driving humanity. We aren't in need of another pseudo religion to rally behind. There are already more than enough of these.

Apart from the fact that I have next to nothing in common with quite a number or atheists. Other than not believing, that is.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(October 16, 2016 at 4:05 pm)abaris Wrote: You know what?

Individualism is what's driving humanity. We aren't in need of another pseudo religion to rally behind. There are already more than enough of these.

Apart from the fact that I have next to nothing in common with quite a number or atheists. Other than not believing, that is.
Individualism can easily turn into isolationism and we're seeing quite an uptick on that front.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
(October 16, 2016 at 4:55 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: Individualism can easily turn into isolationism and we're seeing quite an uptick on that front.

Atheims on the other hand isn't a community. I choose the company I keep. And if this board has taught me anything then it is atheism in itself isn't a value. It's just the tiny, tiny kernel of not believing. That's no basis to form any kind of community.

I much rather extend my hand to some of the theists on this board than I would to some of the atheists here.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(October 16, 2016 at 5:02 pm)abaris Wrote:
(October 16, 2016 at 4:55 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: Individualism can easily turn into isolationism and we're seeing quite an uptick on that front.

Atheims on the other hand isn't a community. I choose the company I keep. And if this board has taught me anything then it is atheism in itself isn't a value. It's just the tiny, tiny kernel of not believing. That's no basis to form any kind of community.

I much rather extend my hand to some of the theists on this board than I would to some of the atheists here.

I think you hit the nail on the head in just the word community. There are many levels of community to interact on from local neighbor to neighbor, to a gathering of peoples who share the same universal paradigm. We can choose our level of interaction or even make a new one for others to interact in. Community = communion = a sharing of something...anything.

I like the part in the bible that says "Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." Reminds me to act locally to help those in need and not to overly concern myself with world matters I cannot act upon.
Is a religion considered 'viable' if 2/3, 3/4, 90%, 99% of it's adherents can't pass even the easiest fluffy bunniest test of religious fealty ??

I'd say the vast majority of 'believers' in the US do not comport themselves as though they sincerely believed they were adherents of The One True Faith.

On the other hand, it's pretty clear the vast majority of atheists have considered religious claims far more seriously than the religious folks do themselves, and have found them profoundly lacking.

Considering atheism isn't (and really couldn't be) organized as noted in some of the above posts, nevertheless having the shared experience of evaluating those religious claims and following along to their logical resolution is a demonstration of unification religions sects and schisms can only dream about.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

If all the apples are too rotten to eat, are the seeds also "inviable"?

People are fallible. We all agree on the secular rules of driving but traffic accidents have been a leading cause of death for people under 27. https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Pub...ion/812203

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4954 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  HeGetUs Movement Hi600 16 1533 April 1, 2023 at 4:46 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1456 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  No soul? No free will and no responsibility then, yet the latter's essential... Duty 33 4082 August 26, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 30188 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4621 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  To theists- A logical insight into Atheism ignoramus 65 11974 May 16, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  *trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems? PhilosophicalZebra 143 27062 December 27, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27100 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Controlled by fables from thousands of years ago! thool 19 2469 January 18, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist