Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 4:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems?
RE: *trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems?
(December 1, 2017 at 9:08 pm)PhilosophicalZebra Wrote: Did you ever consider the person who has just lost their home, or their family, whose life is completely empty and whose only consolation is the hope that maybe there is a loving god out there who cares for them? Their opinion is no less valid than yours, and most of these people hold no ill will towards anyone.

I disagree that their opinion is no less valid. They believe in god probably because they've been taught to and/or because it's comforting. I don't believe in God because reality contradicts what the Bible says about him. He's perfect love but murdered millions at the least of he's own people. He's all knowing but he couldn't think of a better way to deal with the problem of evil than said cataclysm. He's perfectly just but allows a shit ton of unjust suffering.

I don't claim to be an intellectual but it seems to me my opinion has more facts to back it up.

Now they are welcome to their flawed beliefs. But as others have said yeah when you have them saying gays and trans people are evil, or I might add generally trying to create and atmosphere of unhealthy sexual repression, I have a problem.

When they say someone in sheer physical agony from a terminal illness can't end their life in dignity that's when I have a problem.

When they want their bullshit ideas about how the world came to be taught in science classes (There are things called churches for that? Like on every 4th street corner?)
That's when I have a problem.

As long as they don't push it on others they can believe all they want in jigglypuff in space.

Messages In This Thread
RE: *trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems? - by The Industrial Atheist - December 3, 2017 at 10:19 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanism seems fun FrustratedFool 50 3053 August 24, 2023 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 5345 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheism seems to rise in Turkey Woah0 1 861 September 11, 2022 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Does the roo knows all the answers to atheism Gummro 44 8465 January 29, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  What atheism is REALLY all about SisterAgatha 71 10722 October 13, 2017 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27783 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Are the words "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists? Mystical 54 6162 January 3, 2017 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Are the wlrds "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists? Mystical 8 1587 January 2, 2017 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Mystical
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4678 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  Am I a Deist? Cosmological Argument seems reasonable to me. _Velvet_ 97 15799 September 28, 2016 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet