Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 5:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The benefits of being christian. Where are there???
RE: The benefits of being christian. Where are there???
(January 8, 2018 at 1:00 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Did you actually pray to a dragon? Really? Unless you actually did pray to any of those gods from dead religions and/or pet dragon then it sounds a bit disingenuous to speculate about getting the same life changing results as you could from Christian piety. Maybe you did but I can hardly blame Drich for being skeptical.

No, I've actually never been able to genuinely pray to anything.  I've never been capable of generating religious faith because of an inability to perceive anything on the other end of the line.

I have, however, found it useful to temporarily divide my thoughts into "self" and "other," use a fictional character for the "other," and imagine what sort of advice it would give me. "_____, what do you think I should do?"  My best guess is that using a second persona opens a channel to my unconscious mind, much as with flow-of-consciousness journalling, and helps me brainstorm solutions that are not obvious to my conscious mind.

And it works very well, even when I know that the other voice is based on a fictional character.  As I alluded to earlier, I believe that it literally saved my life when I was confronted with an ex-spouse who was uttering death threats. I was too scared and conflicted to act, but when one of my "advisers" told me to get the hell out of there, STAT, it mobilized me and possibly prevented a murder-suicide.

What this showed me is that for me at least, gods don't have to be real to be effective in people's lives.  They just have to be archetypes that I can call upon.  This was the very point that I was trying to make before Drich accused me of dishonesty and I went to Defcon 2.

In fact, my method might be even more effective than praying to gods -- Knowing that I am fantasizing, I also know that it's all on me and not up to some supernatural agent to make things happen in the real world.

It's okay for Drich to be skeptical.  His rudeness, however, was completely uncalled-for and I am not interested in cutting him any slack on this.  I simply do not forgive people who accuse me of lying.

Messages In This Thread
The benefits of being christian. Where are there??? - by Dnte - December 24, 2017 at 1:57 am
RE: The benefits of being christian. Where are there??? - by Astreja - January 8, 2018 at 2:32 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 91802 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Are there any Christian proselytizers left in this subforum? Jehanne 157 22662 October 8, 2018 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Should I tell my parents I faked being christian? Der/die AtheistIn 26 5832 January 15, 2018 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Is there another motivation for christian belief? brewer 118 18449 September 23, 2016 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: TubbyTubby
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7644 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  What makes the Christian God different from thr thousands of other Gods out there? bluemonday 66 12516 March 8, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  How many christian beliebers are there? Belac Enrobso 9 2036 December 29, 2013 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Has anyone ever found a way to reconsile being Gay/Bi/Lesbien and being a Christian? pop_punks_not_dead 102 44448 February 18, 2013 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Rant of logic: There is no such thing as a "Christian" GateofZion 53 21671 January 5, 2013 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6426 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej