Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 4:42 pm

Poll: .
This poll is closed.
lawful good
10.26%
4 10.26%
neutral good
25.64%
10 25.64%
chaotic good
28.21%
11 28.21%
lawful neutral
5.13%
2 5.13%
neutral
10.26%
4 10.26%
chaotic neutral
15.38%
6 15.38%
lawful evil
2.56%
1 2.56%
neutral evil
2.56%
1 2.56%
chaotic evil
0%
0 0%
Total 39 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alignment System. Where would you place yorusef?
RE: Alignment System. Where would you place yorusef?
(February 27, 2018 at 3:56 pm)Mr.Obvious Wrote:
(February 27, 2018 at 3:03 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:

How are you evil though? I'm intrigued by this. Let's talk.

Well...
I've had discussions about this before. In one of the more animated ones, my conversational partner pointed out that good and bad were human concepts and not objective things. And I told him that didn't matter, because we are, as a matter of fact, humans. We use good and evil to describe ourselves and these terms being subjective and open to interpretation, does nothing to diminish them. Any action or lack thereoff can be assigned as good or evil. But neutrality is therefore the one aspect that is unobtainable. If every action and decision AND lack thereoff can be weighed, there can be no true neutrality. At best one could say everyone is a bit of both. That's not neutrality, in my opinion. It's human inconcistency. (Which is fine, as we are, again, just human.)
Now our intentions are important. As are our thoughts and hopes and wishes for others, the world and the future... But these are withouth substance. Indeed, except for intentions, I can't assign any weight to them at all. If for instance you wish for everyone to be safe and happy but you don't try to intervene when you see someone getting mugged, what good is your 'good heart'. Talk is cheap. Actions are what matter.
So it comes down to, what do we do and lack to do in our lives. This last part is very important. The entire: 'All it takes for evil to triumph...' thing.
And what do I do, when I try to take a step back and evaluate my life from a different POV than my own? Because in my POV I might see myself as rather driven social worker. I spend a lot of hours, more than I should and more than I get payed for, trying to help people get their lives in order, financially, socially, societally, administratively, ... When I find a wallet or purse, I make sure to give it back to the person it belongs to. I help my friends. I care for my family. I do all I can to make the woman I love happy. I help the people I know by volunteering to drive them to the airport, help them fix up their house, take out their trash and ...
But does that make me a good person? Is that enough? To be concidered good? It can't be.
Just what happens when I leave behind that self-centered, preoccupied POV? I see myself as a petty, greedy little push-over of a cog in a great horrid machine. I see how limited my human empathy is. I just want to go home at the end of the day and rest in my warm house. Eat my nurishing meal and watch my brain-killing shows or write my pointless drible. Meanwhile out there, most of the world is starving. And I just shut myself off from all of it. I border on being slightly overweight, eating crap and going to restaurants, when out there my clients and people all over the world starve. There are people actually dying as you and I have our little chat here. You know what I could be doing? I could be learning to knit. And instead of having this little conversation in which I could pretend that I'm such a swell guy, I could buy wool and knit sweaters for the homeless people who are freezing all over europe as the vortex strikes. But no. I'll just spend my time online or watch a movie or play a videogame. Instead of inviting someone in to share my excess food, really I could do with a lot less a bit of hunger would not kill me, we throw out food now and again because it got spoiled. I bitch about taxes and the expenses the house I'm renovating cost, when I could do with a house half or a third the size and still be better off than most. I could use all that money to give to people who have a whole lot less. And it's not that I'd have far to look.
We are part of the world, you and I and most here, that has less worries than 99% of all people that ever lived and currently live. And yet we are not satisfied. And rather than sharing this wealth. 'The first world' just keeps importing cheap products that screw over the rest of the world that makes them. We exploit children in bangladesh and wherever because we want designer clothes cheap. We don't bat an eye at the horrid conditions in iphone city, we just like our latest gadgets. We want fruit from all over the world, and the best fruit and none of that odd-shaped crap (throw that away, would you?) rather than  locally grown products that wouldn't damage the environment so much. Same with how much meat I eat, overproduction of cattle is even worse than how much polution our rides cause. Oh yes, we bitch about the environment. It's a shame that people like Trump don't do anything about it, isn't it. But meanwhile we take the plane twice a year to go skiïng or to go somewhere sunny. And I drive my car more than I should. 
But that's okay, right? As long as I can blame someone else... The people in power... Or perhaps the system itself... Or even my peers... It's not my fault, right? I'm just stuck in traffic. I couldn't possibly be traffic?
Well... I might not be a good person. But I'm not lying anymore. I'm done with that. And I'm definitely not lying to myself anymore. I'm not fighting the system with my every being. I'm lazy. I'm weak. I'm vile and disgusting in my apathy and selfishness. And I'm human. And that's just how humans operate. But that does not make it good. I'm not a good person. So that leaves me little alternative.

You know... I don't think there truly are a lot of good people out there. Not if we look at it honestly. And I try not to have heroes, because of it. Because it's unfair to hold them to such a standard. The people I admire, are just people, deep down. They are allowed to have faults. But despite me trying not to have any, you want to know what person I keep as a hero despite my efforts? I know rationally that he's just an ideal I keep in my head that probably wouldn't be the same as the real person... But it's father Damian of Molokaï. I see him as a man who gave everything. Despite me disagreeing with him on a spiritual and theological level... I admire that he didn't just talk the talk of his faith. He walked the walk. It destroyed him. It turned him into the ones he was trying to raise up. But he gave everything he had to give. That kind of person is a good person.
I'm no Damian.

This is definitely some interesting food for thought. I find myself very much like you, actually. We give to charity every month and help out here and there, and of course, always do what we can for friends and family, etc. But I certainly haven't given everything.

I think at worst though, this would make us neutral. Not evil.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Messages In This Thread
RE: Alignment System. Where would you place yorusef? - by Catholic_Lady - February 27, 2018 at 4:49 pm
RE: Alignment System. Where would you place yorusef? - by Cod - February 27, 2018 at 5:43 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you still cook if you diddn't have to? Angrboda 41 2323 October 30, 2023 at 3:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  US National Alert System, aka Satan's Whistle. Gawdzilla Sama 10 751 October 5, 2023 at 1:07 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Where would you go if you could? Brian37 24 2160 August 18, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Where's your favorite place to travel to? EgoDeath 21 2255 March 2, 2019 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Who would you rely on to help you out? Cod 18 1436 January 8, 2019 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  I love this place, you fucking punks J a c k 22 1781 October 5, 2018 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The system of educaction has to be changed Macoleco 31 2816 May 19, 2018 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  What would you do if you woke up one day to find you were the last person alive? Edwardo Piet 64 16744 October 16, 2017 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: c172
  What would you do if you could remember every single moment in your life? c172 11 2508 October 13, 2017 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What would you do if you found out I didn't exist? Edwardo Piet 4 842 October 7, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet