Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 2:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments?
RE: Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments?
(March 9, 2018 at 9:36 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: As far as Yahweh's universality, I didn't mean to quote mine or strawman, and you have a point. The entire quote does elaborate more. But I'd have to say the quote in its entirety still misses the point. I assume you've read the OT. It describes a finite god-- the god of a single people. The Jews. The NT describes a new covenant, but it doesn't really describe a new god. So,according to the Bible, where Christians go to learn about their deity, we are dealing with a finite god . The author of the article has a well-developed God concept, and is informed by the likes of Anselm and Aquinas. Most Christians aren't. And it is rather unfair to atheists to "call them out" for criticizing the finite god in the Bible, when the vast majority of Christians believe in this finite god. But don't take my word for it--walk into a Baptist church and describe the philosopher's god to the people inside. They will sneer at it.

I am assuming you don't mean 'finite' as in not infinite. I assume you mean limited in scope in some way. I don't think that is right. There are references spread throughout the OT of non-Jews coming to some sort of knowledge of God. 

The book of Job (who was not a Jew) - probably one of the oldest stories in the OT
Any character in the OT that predates Abraham
Baalam (Numbers 22)
Priest of the order of Melchizedek Genesis 14:18-20; Psalms 110:4; Hebrews 7
The book of Jonah (God working in the hearts of Ninevah) 
Nebuchadnezzar (Daniel 4:24 and following)

These stories show that God was known and at work in the lives of Gentiles during OT times. Just because a Jewish history did not chronicle more events, does not mean they did not happen. As such, the God of the OT was interested in all people and had a universal perspective--a characteristic that was fully manifested in the NT in verses like John 3:16. I don't think a complete picture of God from the OT to the NT is wanting in any way.

Let me know if I totally misunderstood your point.

Quote:It may annoy you personally to have your beliefs compared to the pagans whose gods' demands must be met or they will ruin next year's crops. Well guess what? There are plenty of Christians who blame natural disasters on the fact that America legalised gay marriage. Plenty of atheists on this forum argue vehemently against such illogic. The question is: if we don't do it, who will?

It sucks that so many rational believers feel the need to answer insults thrown at ignorant believers. My beef is with them. You and I can have a civil discussion about why you believe, and I don't. But for so many others, there is no rational discussion. We need to bow down to their tribal god or he will create sinkholes over gay wedding cakes. Someone needs to argue against this bullshit, and in the course of my arguments I reserve the right to call illogical belief which is inseparable from paganism out for what it is.

I don't disagree with anything you said above.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments? - by SteveII - March 12, 2018 at 8:47 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Arguments (Certainty vs. Probability) JAG 12 1035 October 8, 2020 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 3056 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 43393 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Valid Arguments for God (soundness disputed) Mystic 17 2229 March 25, 2017 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 3023 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Hume weakened analogical arguments for God. Pizza 18 6093 March 25, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Gaps in theistic arguments. Secular theism vs religious theism Pizza 59 10996 February 27, 2015 at 12:33 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Using the arguments against actual infinites against theists Freedom of thought 4 2279 May 14, 2014 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  Ontological Arguments - A Comprehensive Refutation MindForgedManacle 23 5719 March 20, 2014 at 1:48 am
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  What Arguments from Opposing Worldviews Give You Pause? MindForgedManacle 3 1139 November 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: Zazzy