Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 7:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments?
RE: Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments?
(March 7, 2018 at 7:27 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: So, last week I was browsing the internets and came across a blog post by Eve Keneinan entitled "Intellectually Dishonest Atheists." 

I clicked the link hoping to find an article which would make some significant points and perhaps challenge me to become more intellectually honest. I was sorely disappointed. The article did not challenge me at all. Well... maybe a little bit... but for the most part I felt like I didn't get my money's worth (and keep in mind the article was free to read online.)

Keneinan made three main points, each divided into various subpoints:

1) Atheists often suffer from a "persistent inability or refusal to distinguish God from a god or gods"

When I want to capitalize, I tend to use Jehovah's name.  If I don't want to capitalize, I use "god."  Christians often try to prove a god, and then make a logical leap, assuming that the god they have "proven" is Jehovah.  (See the first cause argument.)  As a way of coping whith the confusion which that move causes, I try not to capitalize the word "God."   

Quote:3) Atheists often engage in "persistent use of the burden of proof fallacy, that is, the rhetorical trope which combines an argument from ignorance (“my position is the default position,” i.e. “my position is true until proven false, so I need not argue for it) with special pleading.

People who identify as atheists generally use the word to refer to all non-theists.  Nontheism is the default position.  When Keneinan says that atheism "means the negation of theism," she's using a different definition of "atheist."  If we define atheism her way, then atheism obviously isn't the default position.  And we don't claim that strong atheism (the belief that gods don't exist) is the default position.  

I have trouble believing that she made that misrepresentation accidentally.  And if it was an accident, she's in no position to be carping about people who have trouble distinguishing "god" from "God."  

Quote:
Eve Keneinan Wrote:A persistent inability or refusal to distinguish God from a god or gods. This is a distinction 3 or 4-year-old children can easily grasp, so any atheist who claims not be be able to grasp it is either severely intellectually impaired or lying.
The doctrine of the Trinity is a contradiction.  Nobody can understand a contradiction.  Not 3 or 4 year old children, and not adults with advanced degrees in theology.  If Keneinan is a Christian, then she's totally out of line for making fun of people who don't comprehend nonsense that she can't understand herself.  

Quote:Why do I feel that this article, in the course of criticizing intellectual honesty, is it itself intellectually dishonest?

It's clear that she's lying.  [/quote]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments? - by wiploc - March 20, 2018 at 7:20 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Arguments (Certainty vs. Probability) JAG 12 1035 October 8, 2020 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 3056 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 43393 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Valid Arguments for God (soundness disputed) Mystic 17 2229 March 25, 2017 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 3025 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Hume weakened analogical arguments for God. Pizza 18 6093 March 25, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Gaps in theistic arguments. Secular theism vs religious theism Pizza 59 10996 February 27, 2015 at 12:33 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Using the arguments against actual infinites against theists Freedom of thought 4 2279 May 14, 2014 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  Ontological Arguments - A Comprehensive Refutation MindForgedManacle 23 5719 March 20, 2014 at 1:48 am
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  What Arguments from Opposing Worldviews Give You Pause? MindForgedManacle 3 1139 November 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: Zazzy