Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 1:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why don't some people understand lack of belief?
RE: Why don't some people understand lack of belief?
Neo-Scholastic Wrote:Cabbages lack belief in God. Ergo, cabbages are atheists.

You make a good point. I think the whole 'babies are atheists' is an error. An etymology error, and I don't think I'm making the etymological fallacy in this case. The root structure of 'atheist' isn't 'a-theist' (not a theist), but 'athe-ist', a person who is connected to the concept of 'a-the' (without god/God). A bicyclist is a person with an active connection to the act of bicycling, an atheist is a person with an active connection to not believing in God or gods, whether due to absence of belief or certainty that no deity is real.

Interesting factoid: the word 'atheist' appears in Greek earlier than the word 'theist', and was likely coined first.

LadyForCamus Wrote:
Neo-Scholastic Wrote:Cabbages lack belief in God. Ergo, cabbages are atheists.

Cabbages are neither conscience, nor intelligent.  That’s the worst analogy ever, lol.

Yet it's similar to one that I've heard many atheists make, so it doesn't come out of thin air. The arguments used to support the idea that babies are atheists, come to mind.

Catholic_Lady Wrote:I was referring to the people who believe in a god of any sorts. Of those people, most believe in THE God.

Including Hindus? Not disagreeing, just seeing if what you mean stretches as far as believing the Creator God is one god among many, like Brahma. Buddhism and Jainism don't feature a creator deity. Atheists, Buddhists, and Hindus represent about 2 billion people. And it seems like at least some of the 'Nones' who don't identify as agnostic or atheist don't believe in THE God. Belief in 'Something' or 'letsism', a belief in an undefined transcendent reality is pretty common.

But 'vast' is a very subjective term. It's probably at least 70% of the world's population that believes in a capital 'G' god, and you may consider that a vast majority.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why don't some people understand lack of belief? - by Mister Agenda - April 3, 2018 at 5:17 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6669 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 2091 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Help me understand you better pokey555 12 1863 August 10, 2021 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1517 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Does some people need God? purplepurpose 29 3196 January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5903 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 87636 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5363 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why do people believe that Beowulf is fiction? I_am_not_mafia 59 13713 June 6, 2018 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Objective morality as a proper basic belief Little Henry 609 163639 July 29, 2017 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Astonished