Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 3, 2026, 12:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
I like this...very cool and funny skeptic
#6
RE: I like this...very cool and funny skeptic
Sorry Bri, I agree with Jor. Not impressed by his intellect. He says some 'cool' stuff but it's kind of dumbed down to the layperson level. He seems more of a popularizer of science than anything... and I'd take someone like Brian Cox or Richard Dawkins over him any day.

Here's a video where he's especially unimpressive for me:





I'm no fan of Daniel Dennett but this is a great quote: "There's nothing I like less than bad arguments for a view I hold dear." - Daniel Dennett

And this is exactly what Michael Shermer is doing for me here. Giving bad arguments for a view I hold here. The defense of objective morality, is a view I hold dearly. And others who are more philosophically inclined than Shermer have defended it well. In this video I posted here Shermer is an embarrassment and it shows especially well when he's up against someone like Massimo Pigliucci in this video. Even Julia, the moderator, is someone who is philosophically inclined enough to absolutely flatten Shermer in a debate on philosophical issues. He looks very very bad in this video. I'm certainly no fan. He's a popularizer of skepticism and that's about it really. Not impressed!

Someone commenting on this video I posted summed up the debate quite nicely:

Quote:Shermer: "We can do more, therefore science can solve ethics."
Pigliucci: "Of course we can do more (didn't say we can't do more), but obviously that doesn't mean science can solve ethics, and you still need to show how it can."
Shermer: "Well, I just think science is cool and we can do more, like solve ethics or something, ya know? Because like, science is really, like, neat and stuff."
Pigliucci: "You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about, do you?"
Shermer: "Not a clue, but Sam Harris told me I don't need to know anything about science and philosophy to sell my book. It worked for him, so I thought I'd give it a go."
Pigliucci: "So, what you're saying is, you're just full of shit?"
Shermer: "Yup, pretty much."
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: I like this...very cool and funny skeptic - by Edwardo Piet - May 18, 2018 at 2:05 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Warthogs, very smart animals The End of Atheism 29 8181 May 9, 2023 at 9:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A different type of indoctrination! - funny ignoramus 4 1346 November 29, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Check out the Japanese band! Cool as! ignoramus 12 3443 September 30, 2017 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How cool is Macro/Micro Photography??! Mystical 19 8012 August 26, 2017 at 4:32 am
Last Post: Mystical
  These Guys Are Very Clever. Minimalist 0 944 March 12, 2017 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  This is Funny. Minimalist 2 1351 March 1, 2017 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Funny Donald Trump videos scoobysnack 12 4295 February 20, 2017 at 7:41 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  This is cool. Animation of the Destruction of Pompeii Minimalist 5 2365 March 14, 2016 at 3:18 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  From Funny or Die.com Minimalist 0 1091 December 9, 2015 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Funny...and probably pretty close to the truth Minimalist 2 1683 August 21, 2015 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: AshTreeLane



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)