Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 10:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josephus and other contemporaries on Jesus
RE: Josephus and other contemporaries on Jesus
(July 3, 2018 at 1:27 pm)JairCrawford Wrote: Since the topic came up in great detail in the Why believe the Bible? thread, I thought why not make a thread to cover this topic.

What are your opinions on Josephus' writings? Is the TF partially authentic or entirely fabricated?

Lets look at the reference.

Quote:About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who performed surprising deeds and was a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Messiah. And when, upon the accusation of the principal men among us, Pilate had condemned him to a cross, those who had first come to love him did not cease. He appeared to them spending a third day restored to life, for the prophets of God had foretold these things and a thousand other marvels about him. And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared.

Its a forgery. Remember Josephus was a jew till he died but that's fan boy speak of Christ if ever there was one. You never get the context do you with this what were the passages before and after this because if he wrote it the passage afterwards should be along the lines of and now he's a Christian.

It would be like me saying and mohammed was a fine man who spoke directly to the lord allah. And then remain an atheist.

Quote:What about the more elusive James reference?

You mean.

Quote:Festus was now dead, and Albinus was but upon the road; so he assembled the sanhedrim of judges, and brought before them the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James, and some others, [or, some of his companions]; and when he had formed an accusation against them as breakers of the law, he delivered them to be stoned:

I would say at least partly forged. Remember lying for the church was a very very common things for scribes to do. if they couldn't find evidence they just made it up. All the time.

Quote:And while we're at it why not go ahead and discuss others as well. Pliny, Justin, Clement, the Apostle Paul, etc.

Pliny you mean the letter he wrote to Trajan in 112 ad about 80 years after christs supposed execution which seems to be about the existance of Christians rather than Christ. It would be like saying that scientologists exists it is proof of xenu.

Similarly Justin wrote in ad 150 120 years after Christ supposedly died.

And it goes on and on.

Quote:I'm curious to hear view from both atheists and theists here on these writings as well. Let's compare and contrast our views and interpretations.

The "evidence" for Christ is thin to non-existent. But even if there was a historical Christ you would still have all your work to then try and show that it wasn't just a con man.

I tend to think there was an actual person and it was a cultish David Koresch or Charles Manson type with a hold over their followers that lingered after death. You see that with the Branch Davidian who still follow David Koresch to this day.

I think this because of the way he was killed and the mental gymnastics required to turn the ignominious death by crucifixion into a somehow worthy death.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Josephus and other contemporaries on Jesus - by downbeatplumb - July 3, 2018 at 1:56 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Other burning bush Fake Messiah 12 1749 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3150 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The other problems with Noahs ark dyresand 27 5225 April 7, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Christian Hell vs. Other Hells? TrueChristian 17 4868 January 13, 2016 at 12:59 am
Last Post: green.joel2
  Why Christians can't respect other's opinion? rado84 83 15091 July 15, 2015 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  life on other planets drfuzzy 26 5851 July 6, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7363 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Is there any core feature of christianity not found in other religions Lemonvariable72 54 19717 March 14, 2014 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? catman 407 130708 March 9, 2014 at 4:36 am
Last Post: catman
  What makes the Christian God different from thr thousands of other Gods out there? bluemonday 66 12389 March 8, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.