Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 4:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josephus and other contemporaries on Jesus
RE: Josephus and other contemporaries on Jesus
(July 12, 2018 at 1:41 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:I do think that this is false, there is contemporary evidence from the writers of the new testament.

Hey, asshole.  The writers of your fucking gospels do not even claim that they witnessed this happy horseshit.  That's your first hurdle to get over.

Recently some apologetic asswipe tried to claim that he had knowledge of a first century version of "mark".  This was Dan Wallace of the (where else?) Dallas Theological Seminary during a debate with Bart Ehrman in 2012.  No one knew what the fuck he was talking about.

Since Ehrman was the victim of this fraud I'll let him give the final report on the outcome....6 years later.

https://ehrmanblog.org/what-the-new-frag...tury-mark/

Quote:Like many of you I have many questions about the bizarre way the discussion of the so-called “First-Century Gospel of Mark” unfolded.  I was intimately connected with the first announcement of the discovery, which was made precisely in order to trump me in a public debate.  As it turns out the announcement was based on false information acquired through hearsay.  But that’s the past, and Dan Wallace has apologized, so that is that.

There are still questions about how the affair unfolded, but I’m not going to go into that here.   What there is now no longer any doubt about is the manuscript fragment that is involved.  It is not from the first century but from the late second or early third.  That’s not nearly as impressive but it is still mighty impressive.   Until now we had only one manuscript of Mark that dated that early.  Now we have two.

So Ehrman is being the bigger man and accepting the apology.  But I have no doubt that 50 years from now some xtian shithead....you perhaps...will be be ranting and raving about the discovery of a "first century copy of mark."  You fucks are so predictable.

Should I take your choice to attack Wallace, and the silence on the argument of silence to mean that you know you have no case? 

Ehrman's  article was fair and balanced and contained  a lot of good information.  It's still an earlier piece of the Gospel of Mark, than we had before (although tiny), just not as early as Dan Wallace had been lead to believe.  And Wallace only found out later (after he had signed a contract not to speak on the matter), that the person that he had heard from had did not have possession of the papyri as he had thought.  He shouldn't have spoken on it in the debate, but your hyperbole and angry tantrum seems unwarranted.   You could learn a lot from the way Ehrman composed himself.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther

Messages In This Thread
RE: Josephus and other contemporaries on Jesus - by RoadRunner79 - July 12, 2018 at 3:15 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Other burning bush Fake Messiah 12 1756 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3153 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The other problems with Noahs ark dyresand 27 5252 April 7, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Christian Hell vs. Other Hells? TrueChristian 17 4873 January 13, 2016 at 12:59 am
Last Post: green.joel2
  Why Christians can't respect other's opinion? rado84 83 15118 July 15, 2015 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  life on other planets drfuzzy 26 5866 July 6, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7367 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Is there any core feature of christianity not found in other religions Lemonvariable72 54 19757 March 14, 2014 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? catman 407 130963 March 9, 2014 at 4:36 am
Last Post: catman
  What makes the Christian God different from thr thousands of other Gods out there? bluemonday 66 12423 March 8, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.