Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 9:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion
(September 25, 2018 at 12:38 pm)Khemikal Wrote: -You- might come to that conclusion...but peterson argues for "so-called oppression"....and hey, wasn't it men that found a way to plug the holes of their domestics!  Checkmate, libtards.

Petersons view, more than a little bit contradictory since he doesn't think it's a real thing, is that it's natural and it works and it benefits Teh Ladiez.   So stop complaining and bootstrap yourself!  The world is too feminized nowadays, donchaknow?
I'm gonna call you out here. I don't think you've read the book, and you will say, "I don't even have to. . . "

If so, consider possibly fucking off, or referencing something IN the book, please.

(September 25, 2018 at 3:11 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Incels can't really make up that big of a percentage of his audience. I'm not super familiar with him really, other than his name seems to be in the zeitgeist, so to speak, but I don't think there are enough if them to make a book a best seller or make someone so popular.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with being anti-PC unless you are also a racist. Political correctness is just another way of trying to censor people.

That's right. And here's one of the ways they do it-- this thread is about to be 80 pages of shit, and I'll bet $150 (exactly, and to be donated to charity!) that some of the noisiest birds here haven't actually read the whole book. But they'll fill line after line with BS that they "know" is true without ever considering the actual facts of what was ever said.
Right, Khem?

(September 25, 2018 at 2:58 pm)Bob Kelso Wrote:
(September 25, 2018 at 2:37 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: What part of that triggered you? I don't see anything that bad. There ar feminine and masculine traits. Do people actually deny this?

Wouldn’t say triggered, as it’s not a vitriolic response on my part. I also don’t claim there aren’t feminine/masculine traits. Though I’d argue about their relevance and subjectivity in modern times.

What caused my reaction is his religiously couched traditionalist views that he’s marketing to the anti-pc/incel crowd.

On your first look, not knowing anything about him, it seems like it’s not a big deal for him to be making these references in a self help book. An odd choice in my opinion but not a big deal.

On a second look, after seeing what he’s about, I find it’s a bit more nefarious than that. I don’t think it’s accurate to say “Oh, he’s just making a common, if not antiquated, reference to illustrate a point.”. There’s a rhyme and a reason to it when you place it in line with his views on other subjects.

What, in the book, in particular, did you find objectionable?  What words, actually, did he write, which you cannot tolerate, in this text which we are supposedly here to discuss?

(September 25, 2018 at 2:18 pm)PRJA93 Wrote: He DOES seem to value order, tradition and authority a little more than I personally do. I find myself too expressive and rebellious to subscribe 100% to that type of thinking. However, YOU seem to be the one assuming he is writing something other than what he is saying.

Well, that's kind of the point of all this, and why Peterson in general is so popular, and so important. Nitwits see even a hint of something that could stand against the narrative of demographic victimization or oppression at the hands of white male cisgender capitalist pig-dogs, and start shouting bloody murder. No matter that Peterson didn't say any of the things they claim, or even imply them, they are so sure that the 10 keywords they've bothered to scan say the 80 pages of shit they're going to shovel that they don't even need to READ. . . THE. . . BOOK.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion - by bennyboy - September 25, 2018 at 7:47 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 345 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? Whateverist 901 78686 September 24, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 730 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread Whateverist 598 70644 June 12, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  Thinking of writing a book... Sayetsu 4 630 March 13, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Actual Infinity in Reality? SteveII 478 65641 March 6, 2018 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Actual infinities. Jehanne 48 9737 October 18, 2017 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Succubus
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15567 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Are other atheists of one book? carusmm 14 1958 May 30, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The Book of Genesis Parashu 16 2870 February 20, 2016 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist