Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 2:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion
(September 26, 2018 at 12:07 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(September 26, 2018 at 2:34 am)robvalue Wrote: Do you have any links showing how this is a standard term in psychology? I can't find one.

Actually the term is enforced monogamy, but googling is literally all articles about Jordan Peterson. Most of them clarify the definition, including one from his website. 

If you use Google scholar. 

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en...orced+mono

You get a better idea of it. I'm not a pychology expert or anything, but I had heard the term before and also common sense tells me that someone is not talking about state sponsored rape.
Well done.  I had the same problem-- there were like a million hits about how Peterson used those words, and about what a horrible thing he must be espousing.  Nice call using Scholar.

I completely take back what I said about the term probably not being a scientific one-- it very clearly is one.  But what field would it be used in?  Maybe. . . clinical psychology?  Now, if only we knew a clinical psychologist. Smile

(September 26, 2018 at 4:59 pm)PRJA93 Wrote: By "enforced monogamy" or whatever the term was he simply meant a society that encourages people to be monogamous by pressure through societal norms. He was NOT talking about any sort of situation where women are forced to sleep with "incels" or anything of the sort.

Watch the Joe rogan Podcast and hear his own words, from his own mouth.

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that careful research is really not the strong point of the hysterical left.  It seems to me that that raging makes them feel important (fighting against the powers of oppression, bruh!), and so they are mainly just hoping someone will get anywhere NEAR a trigger subject-- and they'll be perfectly happy forcibly to grab the baton and dash it over the finish line, even if it's the wrong line.

What they definitely do NOT want is to hear the words, "Actually, what X was saying was _____.  Here are 3 sources where you can see that to be true."  Because then not only do they have to walk off their hero rage, which will now go to waste, they might actually have their views of the speaker (who they stereotyped and attacked before they ever watched a whole video or read a whole article) challenged.

What they WILL do is move goalposts, look for some other ad hom attack to make, blame anyone trying to clarify things for "supporting" sexism, or racism, or whatever -ism they think is horrible enough to deflect from the fact that they were just plain wrong.

Short version: Hell will freeze over before anyone who's already decided Peterson is a bad guy attempts to see what Peterson actually thinks (i.e. by watching Podcasts where he very clearly explains what he meant by things he said that people took the wrong way)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion - by bennyboy - September 26, 2018 at 5:47 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 346 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? Whateverist 901 79082 September 24, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 730 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread Whateverist 598 70856 June 12, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  Thinking of writing a book... Sayetsu 4 631 March 13, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Actual Infinity in Reality? SteveII 478 66861 March 6, 2018 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Actual infinities. Jehanne 48 9757 October 18, 2017 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Succubus
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15937 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Are other atheists of one book? carusmm 14 1960 May 30, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The Book of Genesis Parashu 16 2877 February 20, 2016 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist