Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 8:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion
(September 28, 2018 at 6:02 pm)paulpablo Wrote:
(September 28, 2018 at 5:26 pm)Grandizer Wrote: Yeah, in response to a bunch of examples, not just one two. He doesn't acknowledge that being white is a factor that directly provides that privilege. He mistakenly thinks it's just a correlate.

There's about 7 altogether that Jordan Peterson directly addresses, out of a list of about 50 things.

He lists about 7, but it's not like he's only addressing those few examples. I'm pretty sure he was responding to the whole list in general. The whole point of his lecture was to argue that white privilege isn't a thing, at least not in the way that is conventionally argued.

Quote:Even the writer of the list says the privileges aren't directly from skin color, that it's intertwined with other factors that support it.  And she says at the start of the list that it's a personal to just her.

Here's what she actually said, for context:

Quote:I decided to try to work on myself at least by identifying some of the daily effects of white privilege in my life. I have chosen those conditions that I think in my case attach somewhat more to skin-color privilege than to class, religion, ethnic status, or geographic location, though of course all these other factors are intricately intertwined. As far as I can tell, my African American coworkers, friends, and acquaintances with whom I come into daily or frequent contact in this particular time, place and time of work cannot count on most of these conditions.

So no, it's not true that she is saying that the examples aren't directly from skin color, only that privilege is cumulative. That if you're white (or perceived as white), you have white privilege. That if you also happen to be a man, you have both white and male privilege. And if you happen to be neurotypical or Christian or heterosexual, you have even more privilege.

Quote:Which really makes it a list of her privileges.  She can buy houses wherever she wants, I can't, a lot of black people I know can't, some black people I know live in a nicer place than me, some don't.

Her point is that, given all else equal, she is more likely to buy or rent in a place where she can afford to and desire to live. Maybe this is not so obvious once you go up the hierarchy in terms of wealth, but I can easily imagine the difference being obvious in lower socioeconomic classes.

(September 28, 2018 at 7:54 pm)bennyboy Wrote: If there's something specifically white about establishing power hierarchies, then the resulting privilege can be called "white."  If the particular European people involved have just done what people as a species ALWAYS do, and which other species ALWAYS do, then it's a privilege of power in general, not specifically of a uniquely white trait.  (keeping in mind that I've actually said in our other shit-flinging thread that I think it's possible that white people tend toward belligerence in a way that black and Asian people might not)

It's called "white privilege" because, for whatever reasons that led to all this, white people (just for being perceived as white) enjoy privileges that others don't. South Africa is an even better example of this than a country like the USA.

Quote:Every organized group of humans (and lobsters, OMG the OP it LIVES!!!) will form a power hierarchy, because individuals compete and some end up on top, and because groups compete and some end up on top, and nations compete and some end up on top.

But it doesn't mean that these power hierarchies must be exactly the way they are now. Evolution doesn't fix things in stone. Just because we've evolved in a certain way doesn't mean that we are forever doomed to be such way. And just because other species evolved a certain way doesn't mean we must necessarily evolve in that way as well.

What a stupid thing to compare human beings with a highly complex nervous system to fucking lobsters.

Quote:For evidence that this is due to ingrained instincts, I would point to Trump.  He had the shittiest ideas, the crudest and most uncivilized approach to politics, he is racist and he is sexist and he is a liar, and obviously so.  Why is he in power?  It's because the rules that humans have (programmed in them) for determining the top male have to do with physical appearance and behavior-- bellow the loudest, act the most dominant, and you will likely be chosen.  He wasn't chosen because his "simple speech was a refreshing change."  He was chosen because a man who doesn't need to bother to self-censor, who will shout out obvious lies and challenge the media to call him out on it, is seen as so powerful that he's above the rules.

He was elected primarily due to racism and sexism and such things. But even with that, if it weren't for the outdated system of voting, Hillary would've been the president right now, since she got far more popular votes than he did. So what you're arguing here doesn't really serve your point at all.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion - by Grandizer - September 28, 2018 at 8:30 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 346 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? Whateverist 901 79142 September 24, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 730 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread Whateverist 598 70888 June 12, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  Thinking of writing a book... Sayetsu 4 631 March 13, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Actual Infinity in Reality? SteveII 478 66877 March 6, 2018 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Actual infinities. Jehanne 48 9760 October 18, 2017 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Succubus
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15944 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Are other atheists of one book? carusmm 14 1960 May 30, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The Book of Genesis Parashu 16 2879 February 20, 2016 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist