Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 5:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion
(October 1, 2018 at 11:58 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Okay, even in that case, my point still stands as the British would only have used machine guns well after they “earned their privilege.”

When I first saw this statement, I was like when did benny say that they "earned their privilege"? Then I went back to reread that post of his and it does seem like as if he was saying that they did earn that privilege. Anyway ...

Benny, I came here to elaborate a little on how full of shit Peterson is, not on how I can fix the problems of this world. People were in doubt when women started to fight for their rights to vote, and when folks wanted to get rid of slavery. And they had similar arguments to the one you're making.

And in today's American politics, we hear quite a bit of "pie in the sky" arguments as well regarding certain "nice ideas" for healthcare and college education and minimum wage. These arguments often (but not always) coming from folks who secretly don't want these policies to be implemented but pretend they care just to "save face". Republicans especially do this quite a lot (though some Democrats are guilty of this as well).

But again, I'm not here to provide solutions to the world's biggest problems. One ideal way is to raise awareness that privileges such as white privilege is a thing to take serious consideration of, because when enough people acknowledge that this is a thing, then enough people will acknowledge that radical change needs to occur in order to eradicate (or further minimize) racist attitudes. However, as I said before, this isn't going to be happening anytime soon, as a lot more time is needed for humankind to mature enough to get to such a point. We only just started to accept marriage equality when this was not the case at all in the past, and this took a major change in collective societal attitude for this to occur.

To Paul, you were all too willing to say black people are racist against their own kind after putting in effort to deny white privilege is a thing of significance. I just found that very curious. Then again, I still remember the exchanges you had with abaris on topics like this, so to be honest, it doesn't surprise at all that you would go out of your way to argue against the significance of white privilege and white racism (which, btw, is not the same as white privilege).

And, again, you're repeating statements that just aren't true. And I have already addressed some of them. It's just not true that white privilege doesn't play much of a role in the domain of real estate purchase/rent or in other domains. Please do some serious reading on this subject, and don't just let your biases get the better of you. It's ok to acknowledge that you are privileged because of the color of your skin, your world is not going to end if you do.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion - by Grandizer - October 2, 2018 at 9:55 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 359 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? Whateverist 901 82505 September 24, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 754 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread Whateverist 598 72512 June 12, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  Thinking of writing a book... Sayetsu 4 661 March 13, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Actual Infinity in Reality? SteveII 478 68051 March 6, 2018 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Actual infinities. Jehanne 48 9881 October 18, 2017 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Succubus
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 16352 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Are other atheists of one book? carusmm 14 2048 May 30, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The Book of Genesis Parashu 16 2936 February 20, 2016 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist