Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 10:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion
(October 5, 2018 at 10:42 am)Grandizer Wrote: Peterson has videos on YouTube, and there are interviews with him as well. I have listened to some of them. So, as much as you would enjoy the narrative that I am, I'm not going by just opinion pieces about him.

Yes and yet this is not a thread titled Jordan Peterson's youtube channel and interview discussion. I, admittedly, have not watched too many of his Youtube videos. I've seen a few of his interviews and never heard him say something all that preposterous. Once again I think he's insanely disingenuous when it comes to religion; I suspect he's a closet agnostic, but that's just my gut feeling. You hear a lot of people talking about religion the way he does before they come out and admit, "I don't really know." But that's just my gut feeling and it could be totally off.

(October 5, 2018 at 10:42 am)Grandizer Wrote: I wonder why ...
You wonder why what?

(October 5, 2018 at 10:42 am)Grandizer Wrote: You don't think he espouses views that encourage sexist attitudes against women, and that his trivialization of white privilege further enables white supremacist positions and attitudes?

Nope. Quote me something directly from Peterson that he's said that you think is sexist and please cite a source I can see/hear or read myself and I'd be happy to talk it over with you. And no, I do not think that trivializing white privilege further enables white supremacy. This is the type of absolute thinking that KILLS conversations on topics like this. I think trivializing white privilege makes you ignorant about white privilege, nothing more. This idea that - You trivialize white privilege therefore your enable nazis and skinheads is fucking insane. This is the type of talk on the left that sometimes makes me embarrassed to call myself a liberal.

(October 5, 2018 at 10:42 am)Grandizer Wrote: I do believe Peterson's a bigot, and maybe I did call him that here somewhere (can't remember), but I was sure to point out some of his mistakes as well. For example, that sexism itself continues to contribute to the wage gap between men and women, as seen by the studies that show even agreeable men earn more than agreeable women. Hell, men who score high on agreeableness still often fare better in the workforce than women who score low on agreeableness.
I'm not an economist and won't pretend to know too much about the wage gap. I think it's a complex issue that needs to be tackled on a case-to-case basis and needs to be examined within specific industries. Even me saying that is coming from a very rudimentary understanding of economics. So I don't know too much, if anything, about the wage gap or how all of that works.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion - by EgoDeath - October 7, 2018 at 2:05 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 346 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? Whateverist 901 79154 September 24, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 730 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread Whateverist 598 70895 June 12, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  Thinking of writing a book... Sayetsu 4 631 March 13, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Actual Infinity in Reality? SteveII 478 66882 March 6, 2018 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Actual infinities. Jehanne 48 9760 October 18, 2017 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Succubus
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15947 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Are other atheists of one book? carusmm 14 1960 May 30, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The Book of Genesis Parashu 16 2879 February 20, 2016 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist