Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 4:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why We don't take your Holy Scriptures Seriously
RE: Why We don't take your Holy Scriptures Seriously
(October 23, 2018 at 5:19 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(October 23, 2018 at 2:17 pm)Drich Wrote: Jerkoff  that all you post amounts to..  charts, graphs, how other religions perform.. all crap.. you don't respect the bible for the same reason you personally attack anyone who can defend it. The bible represents a single attempt from God to reconcile with us, and if you can discredit the bible in your mind it is ok to also dismiss God. as you clearly think the two are linked.

(meaning God would not allow his holy writing to be disrespected, because you can= no God.) Even now your OP is riddled with attempts at failed logic/reason why you shouldn't believe, based on the idea that the bible should be more than it is. when in fact the bible is as valuable as any map. extremely valuable if the map is telling you how to get where you want to go and worthless if you have no desire to get where the map points! However it seems you think the bible is apart of God. that is a 6th century church idea that died with the reformation. Disrespecting the bible is not disrespecting God. challenging the bible is not challenging God.

What's more Challenging the bible and calling into question every aspect of belief and what the bible says is recommended in the bible itself. you not treating it as a holy book is nothing new and for those who really know the bible also know it is not God. it never claimes to be.

Wow, Drich. You couldn't have missed my point more. My OP doesn't say anything about "why you shouldn't believe." It was about why I don't take ancient religious texts seriously (with emphasis on the Bible). I was careful to say exactly what I meant.

I like ancient Greek philosophy, especially Plato. I think Plato's books contain a lot of valuable insights. But some of it is laughable. I also read ancient Hindu religious texts. Same there; plenty of insights to be had. But also plenty of logic fails and superstition. I plan on approaching the Bible as I would any ancient text. That means expressing respect for the insights, talking about the cultural origin of various stories, and (when it is warranted) LOLing at some silly shit. With this thread, I wanted to respond to some concerns Neo had voiced in the other thread without bogging that thread down with debate.

It's all well and good that you think it is okay to question the Bible. I will be doing that. But I won't be giving any absurd verses special treatment, as many Christians are prone to do.

I simply matured your initial thought on why you should not take the scripture seriously to it's ultimate conclusion... You associate God with the book. if you can crap on the book you can crap on God and any God you can crap on is not worthy of worship was the chain of thought I pointed out from your post..

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why We don't take your Holy Scriptures Seriously - by Drich - October 24, 2018 at 9:55 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Care to Seriously Consider the Existance of a Creator (God)? theMadJW 117 11288 April 29, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  The problem with "Holy Places". onlinebiker 28 2453 March 8, 2020 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3592 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Prayers don't work so why do religious keep jabbing at it? Fake Messiah 65 9926 August 26, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 9995 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Why Creationists don't realize the biblical Creation is just jewish mythology? android17ak47 65 8832 July 27, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Gender of Holy Spirit TwoKnives99 31 4819 November 17, 2018 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  My take on Christianity - Judaism - Islam Mystic 32 6728 November 14, 2018 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  If you're pro-life, how far do you take that? robvalue 147 14124 August 10, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  First Holy Communion (reflections) vulcanlogician 39 5968 May 13, 2018 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire