Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The problem with "Holy Places".
The problem with "Holy Places".
Anyone who claims that a place is holy is promoting the idea that we are the center of the universe.

There are no fixed points in reality. 

The Earth rotates, which in turn orbits the sun, which in turn orbits the galaxy center, ect....

Due to our movement that "holy spot" moved away from us at the rate of a light year every 1500 years or so.

Any supreme being who creates holy spots shouldn't have to follow us about readjusting his spot to account for our movement.....
RE: The problem with "Holy Places".
(February 19, 2020 at 10:54 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Anyone who claims that a place is holy is promoting the idea that we are the center of the universe.

There are no fixed points in reality. 

The Earth rotates, which in turn orbits the sun, which in turn orbits the galaxy center, ect....

Due to our movement that "holy spot" moved away from us at the rate of a light year every 1500 years or so.

Any supreme being who creates holy spots shouldn't have to follow us about readjusting his spot to account for our movement.....

Afraid that is not how it works at all. The "holy spot" is not a locus in spacetime. It is the imprint of the event on the environs that endures and those environs are co-moving right along with the rest of the planet.

Perhaps you think that is a load of BS. So do I, but it ain't my BS. Just look at the pretzel logic that gets handed around about the tablecloth of Turin. Radioactive levitating corpse jesus? FFS.
Holy places aren't centers of the universe, they're centers of cultural (and often practical) value.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Redness, irritation.
Chaffing.
For me it's the same sort of thing when someone says a house is haunted.

Like why is haunted? What makes a house "special" to contain a supposed free-roaming spirit? Why is the spirit always wearing clothes, did their clothes die? Why are their not Dinosaur ghosts? If a ghost can walk through walls, why do they not fall through the earth when 'walking' or sitting down or whatever ghost's do.

A house is just bricks/wood formed into a pattern of straight lines, there is nothing overtly special that means a demon would be stuck in there or whatever. Same with Holy places - Who decided which part is holy? Is there like a 'Border' of knowing when you're in the holy place and not just in a non holy section?
"Be Excellent To Each Other"
Round here they're usually freshwater springs, which have obvious practical benefits. Though the believers invariably claim the water is a cure-all.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
LOL, probably seemed a hell of alot like they were back when sewage was the other option.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Under the Celts/Greeks/Romans/Vikings these would usually be dedicated to feminine spirits/goddesses. Then the Xtians came in, demolished the previous shrine, built a church and reinterpreted the goddess stories to be visions of the Virgin Mary... And then start burying people around the freshwater source...
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(February 19, 2020 at 12:30 pm)OakTree500 Wrote: For me it's the same sort of thing when someone says a house is haunted.

Like why is haunted? What makes a house "special" to contain a supposed free-roaming spirit? Why is the spirit always wearing clothes, did their clothes die? Why are their not Dinosaur ghosts? If a ghost can walk through walls, why do they not fall through the earth when 'walking' or sitting down or whatever ghost's do.

A house is just bricks/wood formed into a pattern of straight lines, there is nothing overtly special that means a demon would be stuck in there or whatever. Same with Holy places - Who decided which part is holy? Is there like a 'Border' of knowing when you're in the holy place and not just in a non holy section?

Damn it man.  Now I have to puzzle over the whole 'no naked ghosts' thing.

There goes the afternoon...   Dodgy

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(February 19, 2020 at 1:24 pm)Mr Greene Wrote: Round here they're usually freshwater springs, which have obvious practical benefits. Though the believers invariably claim the water is a cure-all.

A lot of ours are either hillforts or tombs (occasionally a combo).  This is the sort of thing you get when a culture values war and death above all else.  Except cattle.  Cattle are the shit.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gender of Holy Spirit TwoKnives99 31 4683 November 17, 2018 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why We don't take your Holy Scriptures Seriously vulcanlogician 75 7729 October 25, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  First Holy Communion (reflections) vulcanlogician 39 5703 May 13, 2018 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Finding the holy grail ignoramus 3 1023 May 4, 2018 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  How can you explain the miracle of the Holy Fire? Thracian 42 10859 April 23, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  The Problem of Evil combined with the problem of Free Will Aroura 163 45709 June 5, 2017 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Drich
Music Are the holy angels like the time-cops? theBorg 150 18621 October 11, 2016 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  The Holy Horseshit...No Matter Who Wrote It...Is The Problem Minimalist 7 4025 December 12, 2015 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The Holy Trinity Does Make Sense. paulpablo 0 1309 November 20, 2014 at 7:10 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  The monopoly manual and holy books. Lemonvariable72 23 4514 November 18, 2014 at 10:00 am
Last Post: JonDarbyXIII