Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 6:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
25,000 year old human foot prints found in Mexico
RE: 25,000 year old human foot prints found in Mexico
(September 28, 2011 at 9:36 am)Rhythm Wrote: Oh yeah, well aware of that. Also aware that boats made of reeds (for example) can make an ocean crossing. Not saying it's beyond the realm of possibility. I'm just trying to go through the ideas put forward and pin down the kind of evidence that would give strong support to the theory. I did dig more on the hypothesis and they do fine bone awls, so, in theory, they could be used to produce skin boats. The reason I was assuming dugouts is that they are the oldest boats we have. Now we're proposing a technologically advanced culture without any evidence for it. Just trying to keep the number of claims that would require revision of our current understanding to a minimum.

There are a number of reasons that we currently believe dugouts to be the oldest boats. Largely that these are the sorts of boats that we have earliest evidence for. Going further, building a skin boat requires at least some understanding of displacement and waterproofing while building a dugout requires only that the builder understand that logs float. We would expect to find a frame for a skin boat somewhere, even going back that far. We have arrow shafts, backpack frames, shoes frames, the tools used to make them. Not suggesting that it's impossible, only mentioning that it would be nice to have some evidence. I do understand that we're talking archaeology by diver for the most part here, but we do find these sites (couple in FL, in underground rivers btw). So asking for evidence of such technology isn't beyond the pale.

Given the results of genetic sequencing and the evidence we do have available to us, a European origin for early settlers of the Americas is going to require more than conjecture and possibility. That's all.

I tend to think the first manufactured watercraft would be some configuration of skin bladder and animal sinew because evidence seem to suggest humans have made use of animal parts in manufactuering for far longer than bulk wooden parts.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 25,000 year old human foot prints found in Mexico - by Anomalocaris - September 28, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You Have Less than One Year ZoomerTrumper 4 523 February 26, 2024 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  I think I have found my favorite. Brian37 31 3102 March 2, 2019 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Bernie Sanders' "Medicare for All" plan is really expensive over a 10-year period.... Aegon 40 4704 September 22, 2018 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  13,000 you Saudi fucks??? WinterHold 8 2628 November 22, 2017 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Not This Year, You WLB! Minimalist 13 2992 August 24, 2017 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  30 foot Chicken Fireball 4 541 August 10, 2017 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Trump threatens to send troops into Mexico to take care of the "bad hombres" Aegon 23 6053 February 12, 2017 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Repealing the Affordable Care Act will kill more than 43,000 people annually Aegon 73 10018 January 26, 2017 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Wolf Blitzer - Look What He Found in the Archives! Minimalist 22 2016 August 12, 2016 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  WikiLeaks publishes searchable database of almost 20,000 emails from DNC. Tiberius 202 20710 July 29, 2016 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Tiberius