Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 7:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity
RE: Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity
(July 8, 2019 at 12:22 pm)tackattack Wrote:
(July 7, 2019 at 5:49 pm)Losty Wrote: Sorry, Tack...I kinda feel like trying to start a group prayer anywhere outside a religious organization without 100% certainty that everyone in the group is Christian seems more like you being discriminatory. You shouldn’t ever do that to someone. You have no idea what it’s like to be forced to either pray in a group or come out as a non-Christian in a group where almost everyone is Christian.
OK I can accept that I was applying unwanted pressure to the boy to conform by starting a ritual that his parent wanted no part for him. I still don't see it as discrimination as I defined. The difference, IMO if you look at the definition I stated was the intent. I wasn't intending to single him out, the intention was actually the opposite. I didn't intend for him to feel unwelcome, because people don't wear atheists signs on their foreheads. A few simple words, after the game, with what you believe and what you don't want for your child would have been all it took. I don't have any idea from experience what it's like to have to either pray or come out. Why do you feel the need to do something you don't want to do to fit into a group? Why do you feel the need to hide who you are and what you believe?

No, I’m sure you didn’t have any intent to discriminate against anyone. I just think Christians could do a little more considering of that type of thing. I agree that the mother could have come to you in private and discussed it with you and I do personally think that’s always the best first step. But I can understand why some people skip it. Usually if you don’t make a big stink about something nothing will be done.

As for last 2 questions, if you consider a you g child I think it’s pretty obvious why they would want to fit in and not be ostracized. Kids want to fit in. They don’t want anyone to think they’re weird.
Myself personally, I wouldn’t care at all to fit into a group that I don’t even want to belong to. I do care to hide my atheism from most people for the same reason I hide my sexuality. I don’t want to be treated badly because of negative views that come with being an atheist. A lot of people in my work environment and my community are idiots. They think atheism means I worship the devil and I hate god and I’m an evil person who sacrifices goats in my spare time for my own malicious purposes. And I don’t want to deal with that. I think that just like my sexuality, my atheism should be something that I get to choose when/if to come out about and to whom.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity - by Losty - July 8, 2019 at 5:23 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nailed to a cross, Filipino prays for Ukraine war to end Ferrocyanide 1 576 April 8, 2023 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The Gospels and the war in Ukraine. Jehanne 15 2127 April 7, 2022 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  First Council of Nicaea: when Christianity was deformed and Jesus named son of God. WinterHold 50 4623 September 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Holy War Johanabrahams 105 9191 July 17, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: brewer
  Evolution and Christianity and Salvation mrj 255 21505 March 14, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The War on Christmas Chad32 29 4219 January 15, 2019 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Phoque
  The connection between Christianity and Capitalism Cecelia 43 4922 August 22, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Feeling a form of "religious discrimination" for the first time Aegon 19 1957 May 22, 2018 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I'm sick and tired of Christianity Der/die AtheistIn 73 10760 December 29, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  While Judaism may have had forced marriage war booties, i think it reasons is for it Rakie 17 4075 August 2, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus