Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 7:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity
RE: Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity
Those are some good points, but they seem to be in opposition to each other.

"I think it's important to know your audience and not to take for granted that you are in the right." - agreed, but
" You guys seem to think that the sheer number of you somehow makes your belief more reasonable", so to clarify
"Assuming that everyone else shares your belief and is okay with being led in a Christian prayer is not reasonable."

which of course makes it bigoted and indoctrination, then

"If you make assumptions, that’s on you not me. " - ok so I have to make some assumption, but I don't have the right to
" assume other people around you hold that same belief"

"Maybe you are (in the right) in your world but everyone doesn't live there." it's not really about the right or wrong. It's a social contract. I come here to an atheist forum knowing that I'm a minority and misunderstood. I have to work in the guidelines and framework of this place as part of my social contract. I believe the same applies.

I do assume that people I meet, in the circles I roll in, in the area I am have some sort of basic theism. That's not guaranteed to be right every time, but often enough.
I also assumed that since there have been no problems with the 30 public prayers prior to the one, no one has expressed an issue, that there isn't an issue. I would have been very happy to stop doing the prayers publicly if there was a parent with a problem that addressed it rationally, because my assumptions were reasonable, but false in this new case.

2. I wouldn't care if you said a few words to Faloola or Mohamed, as the practice of saying a few words before a game was common enough and as long as you didn't force anyone to say anything they didn't want to.

3. I'm not saying your atheist son can't play football because his teammates are Christians. However, if you see that they pray before meals and before a game and after a game, he should know they're Christians going into it, and I hope you've had a discussion about what that means for him. I consider some conformity the cost of socialization, and as a parent I would hope you wouldn't force him to join the group just so you can single out those Christian boys from the team or their coaches.

4.@Losty On the second point you make my case. I agree it was a horrible example because both of us agree that trans jokes, regardless of the audience are discriminatory and wrong. What we don't agree on is that saying a prayer publicly is wrong. How is saying a prayer with an audience discriminatory or wrong, exactly? I don't believe my right to my free speech ends if I am making others hurt or uncomfortable, otherwise it's not FREE speech. I believe there is a certain amount of discomfort in any social contract as it's a compromise and in compromises neither side gets all of what they want. I believe I am abusing my right to Free speech when I am intentionally saying something that hurts someone else.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity - by tackattack - July 11, 2019 at 7:09 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nailed to a cross, Filipino prays for Ukraine war to end Ferrocyanide 1 565 April 8, 2023 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The Gospels and the war in Ukraine. Jehanne 15 2120 April 7, 2022 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  First Council of Nicaea: when Christianity was deformed and Jesus named son of God. WinterHold 50 4539 September 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Holy War Johanabrahams 105 9051 July 17, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: brewer
  Evolution and Christianity and Salvation mrj 255 21280 March 14, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The War on Christmas Chad32 29 4178 January 15, 2019 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Phoque
  The connection between Christianity and Capitalism Cecelia 43 4905 August 22, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Feeling a form of "religious discrimination" for the first time Aegon 19 1939 May 22, 2018 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I'm sick and tired of Christianity Der/die AtheistIn 73 10716 December 29, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  While Judaism may have had forced marriage war booties, i think it reasons is for it Rakie 17 4046 August 2, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus