Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 7:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity
RE: Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity
(July 11, 2019 at 7:09 am)tackattack Wrote: 3. I'm not saying your atheist son can't play football because his teammates are Christians. However, if you see that they pray before meals and before a game and after a game, he should know they're Christians going into it, and I hope you've had a discussion about what that means for him. I consider some conformity the cost of socialization, and as a parent I would hope you wouldn't force him to join the group just so you can single out those Christian boys from the team or their coaches.

4.@Losty On the second point you make my case. I agree it was a horrible example because both of us agree that trans jokes, regardless of the audience are discriminatory and wrong. What we don't agree on is that saying a prayer publicly is wrong. How is saying a prayer with an audience discriminatory or wrong, exactly? I don't believe my right to my free speech ends if I am making others hurt or uncomfortable, otherwise it's not FREE speech. I believe there is a certain amount of discomfort in any social contract as it's a compromise and in compromises neither side gets all of what they want. I believe I am abusing my right to Free speech when I am intentionally saying something that hurts someone else.

Yea, are you kidding me? Lol. No, I wouldn’t force my son to join a sports team just so I could “single” out the entire team for being Christian. We actually really had this issue with his team and I just privately made the request to the coaches that they keep their prayers to themselves and don’t make it a group thing. They were very nice about it after I gently suggested that I would go to the directors of the organization if needed. I would never force my son to join anything he doesn’t want to join lol. My son wants to play football, football is not a religious activity, there is zero reason why he shouldn’t be allowed to join a team just because most of the other players are Christians. There’s also no reason why he shouldn’t be free from an adult asking him to join a prayer during football, that’s extremely inappropriate for an adult to discuss any religious matters with a child that he doesn’t know well enough to know their religious views and/or without permission from their parents.

Saying a prayer publicly is not wrong. I never said it was. (I personally have issues with praying over sporting events but that’s aside from the point) If you want to say it out loud at the grocery store that’s fine by me, some people might ask you not to and that would be up to the company how they deal with that. What is 100% wrong is to ask for a group prayer when you’re an adult and they’re children and when you’re a coach and they’re players and when you’re in a position of authority. In that case, it is wrong for you to even say your prayer out loud where everyone who wants to play football is forced to listen. You don’t have any rights to free speech within a sports organization anyway. Free speech is a person or community’s freedom to voice their opinions without government retaliation, censorship, or legal penalties. Freedom of speech does not mean you can say anything you want anywhere you want to anyone you want without consequences. The organization is well within their rights to not allow group prayer during sports events. Also, even if free speech did apply here, the Supreme Court has already ruled in favor of the rights of a captive audience outweighing the rights of an individual or group’s freedom of speech.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity - by Losty - July 11, 2019 at 4:50 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nailed to a cross, Filipino prays for Ukraine war to end Ferrocyanide 1 576 April 8, 2023 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The Gospels and the war in Ukraine. Jehanne 15 2127 April 7, 2022 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  First Council of Nicaea: when Christianity was deformed and Jesus named son of God. WinterHold 50 4623 September 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Holy War Johanabrahams 105 9191 July 17, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: brewer
  Evolution and Christianity and Salvation mrj 255 21505 March 14, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The War on Christmas Chad32 29 4219 January 15, 2019 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Phoque
  The connection between Christianity and Capitalism Cecelia 43 4922 August 22, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Feeling a form of "religious discrimination" for the first time Aegon 19 1957 May 22, 2018 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I'm sick and tired of Christianity Der/die AtheistIn 73 10760 December 29, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  While Judaism may have had forced marriage war booties, i think it reasons is for it Rakie 17 4075 August 2, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus