Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 10:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
George Zimmerman suing parents of Trayvon Martin among others
RE: George Zimmerman suing parents of Trayvon Martin among others
(December 5, 2019 at 10:44 pm)EgoDeath Wrote: I think it's a common trope, when people get away with terrible crimes, for people to cry, "The defendant was overcharged." I'm not sure how much merit there is to that idea, but I suppose it's a possibility. Not to mention, your personal definition of what second degree murder is doesn't quite match that of the Florida statute.

"The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree..."

^This is how Florida defines second-degree murder, and I think this fits pretty damn well with even Zimmerman's version of events - save for the whole "self-defense" bit, which I understand changes the context of things quite a bit, but it's not like Martin had a gun out and Zimmerman shot a young man who was trying to kill him. He killed an unarmed young man with little to no provocation, and clear instructions from police dispatch to not pursue Martin when he began running.

And, of course, I'm not saying you disagree with any of this; I'm simply asking you to consider, is it really that Zimmerman was "overcharged," like the media loves to say any time something like this happens, or is it because of Florida's 'stand your ground' laws, which alleviates people of the responsibility and 'duty to retreat'...

I honestly wonder.

I've looked up the Florida Criminal Jury Instructions for 2012-2013. Here are the instructions for a second-degree murder charge. They have to prove that "There was an unlawful killing of (Trayvon Martin) by an act imminently dangerous to another and demonstrating a depraved mind [Defined as and act that "a person of ordinary judgment would know is reasonably certain to kill or do serious bodily injury to another, and is done from ill will, hatred, spite, or an evil intent, and is of such a nature that the act itself indicates an indifference to human life."] without regard for human life." And, unfortunately, Zimmerman was able to spin the events in such a way that it was really hard to prove "ill will, hatred, spite, or an evil intent."

And meanwhile, here's the instructions for manslaughter. And looking at the "Culpable Negligence" section really got me thinking:
Quote:I will now define “culpable negligence” for you. As I have said, every person has a duty to act reasonably toward others. If there is a violation of that duty, without any conscious intention to harm, that violation is negligence. But culpable negligence is more than a failure to use ordinary care toward others. In order for negligence to be culpable, it must be gross and flagrant. Culpable negligence is a course of conduct showing reckless disregard of human life, or of the safety of persons exposed to its dangerous effects, or such an entire want of care as to raise a presumption of a conscious indifference to consequences, or which shows wantonness or recklessness, or a grossly careless disregard for the safety and welfare of the public, or such an indifference to the rights of others as is equivalent to an intentional violation of such rights.

The negligent act or omission must have been committed with an utter disregard for the safety of others. Culpable negligence is consciously doing an act or following a course of conduct that the defendant must have known, or reasonably should have known, was likely to cause death or great bodily injury.
That 911 dispatcher (not quite the legally binding words of police, but still) telling him to not follow Trayvon Martin would seem to support that last sentence.

And, yes, there are many lawyers who would agree with my interpretation.

Of course, it may not be as easy as reducing the charges to manslaughter, especially given that, in the original trial, he was charged with Second Degree murder with a lesser included offense of manslaughter. And he got off on both charges.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Messages In This Thread
RE: George Zimmerman suing parents of Trayvon Martin among others - by Rev. Rye - December 6, 2019 at 12:00 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  George Carlin American Dream vannymanny 6 581 June 29, 2022 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Among Matt Bevin's Pardons: Man who raped 9 year old girl Cecelia 1 439 December 14, 2019 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Parents form "prayer circle" over gay stage kiss Foxaèr 14 1801 November 13, 2018 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Now There Are Two Reasons To Toss George Will Out Minimalist 5 816 June 29, 2018 at 8:50 am
Last Post: oldpollock
  Melania visits kids taken from their parents? Brian37 36 4869 June 22, 2018 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Alex Jones being sued by parents of Sandy Hook Victims Divinity 26 3821 April 20, 2018 at 7:23 am
Last Post: Brian37
  George Takei (original Star Trek Sulu) Accused of Sexual Assault AFTT47 31 6933 November 13, 2017 at 8:32 am
Last Post: LuisDantas
  Honoring George Washington, Unwelcoming...Please Keep it Up Neo-Scholastic 37 2962 November 1, 2017 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Honor Among Thieves? Minimalist 9 2567 August 18, 2017 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  George A. Romero Dead At 77 A Theist 16 5012 July 19, 2017 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: A Theist