Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 11:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imminent chances of societal collapse is sky high
RE: Imminent chances of societal collapse is sky high
Quote:One of the most remarkable skills of humans is their ability to adapt and innovate. As such, you might expect that technology and science will develop solutions to this problem. However, the report argues that the “consumption of the natural resources, in particular the forests, is in competition with our technological level.” In other words, the more technology progresses, the more we are likely to destroy forests unless a profound paradigm shift occurs.

This is basically the technocratic approach contrasted with collective human action.

I'm not as optimistic as to think that the governments of the world will get their act together and reshape their current fossil fuel energy dependent economies into green renewable energy economies & nuclear-based energy. It won't be until climate change has become so bad that its effects has caused coastal cities to submerge and more than 2 billion people displaced away from the equator; then the governments of the world will be like "oh shit, guess we should have done something 50 years ago."
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

Messages In This Thread
RE: Imminent chances of societal collapse is sky high - by Sal - August 2, 2020 at 3:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I cut back on salt since I have high blood pressure? FlatAssembler 14 935 December 26, 2023 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Measles cases hit record high in Europe zebo-the-fat 13 1477 September 20, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  For those of you that like high and tight cuts brewer 12 1749 December 6, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  NASA Finds Amino Acids on Impossible Meteorite, Improves Chances E.T. Exists orogenicman 6 2233 December 19, 2010 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: orogenicman