Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Measles cases hit record high in Europe

Cases of measles in Europe have hit a record high, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
More than 41,000 people have been infected in the first six months of 2018, leading to 37 deaths.
Last year there were 23,927 cases and the year before 5,273. Experts blame this surge in infections on a drop in the number of people being vaccinated.
In England, there have been 807 cases so far this year. The WHO is calling on European countries to take action.

Measles is highly infectious and spreads by droplets in coughs and sneezes.
The infection lasts seven to 10 days. But while most people recover completely, it can cause some serious complications, including:
   encephalitis (infection and swelling of the brain)
   meningitis
   febrile convulsions
   pneumonia
   liver infection (hepatitis)

The MMR vaccine can prevent infection but discredited research 20 years ago that erroneously linked MMR to autism has stopped some people from trusting the vaccine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45246049

Well thanks all you stupid anti vaccination morons  Angry
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Measles cases hit record high in Europe
I had an employee who did not vaccinate her child. She worked for us in a small physical therapy clinic that only treats children that my wife and I own. We were eventually able to talk some sense into her.

I would say that 2-3 times a year we end up with patients who are not vaccinated. A few of the parents are well educated, and seem to have rationalized this decision. The majority though (in my opinion) do not have the education or intelligence to really comprehend the impact that this heath decision can make for their child.

We are located in a medium sized coastal city in the US South East. This is a fairly conservative area, I wonder if this is more common in more progressive areas.
Well, because assholes.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
If you're curious, this provides some additional interesting data:

https://ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-d...ugust-2018
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Doesn't help that certain celebrities support anti-vaxxers delusions.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
The best cure for this would be a group of dedicated people shooting anti-vaxxers.
Dying to live, living to die.
Or a group of dedicated typhoid Marys seeking them out.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 19, 2018 at 6:20 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: The best cure for this would be a group of dedicated people shooting anti-vaxxers.

LOL! My head saw roving bands of marauders armed with these.

[Image: web1_harasimcolm-feb28-17_003_8049251.gif]
(September 19, 2018 at 7:16 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(September 19, 2018 at 6:20 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: The best cure for this would be a group of dedicated people shooting anti-vaxxers.

LOL! My head saw roving bands of marauders armed with these.

Same thought popped into my head! Wouldn't it be great!? If only one could verify and track these idjits. Don't want them inoculated twice, or something.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(September 19, 2018 at 7:39 pm)Fireball Wrote:
(September 19, 2018 at 7:16 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: LOL! My head saw roving bands of marauders armed with these.

Same thought popped into my head! Wouldn't it be great!? If only one could verify and track these idjits. Don't want them inoculated twice, or something.

Start by hitting all of the natruopath/homeopath offices. Vegan restaurants next. PITA member list???

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I cut back on salt since I have high blood pressure? FlatAssembler 14 829 December 26, 2023 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Imminent chances of societal collapse is sky high Foxaèr 28 1493 August 4, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  WHO report on measles released yesterday brewer 2 260 November 30, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Europe and measles brewer 0 214 February 21, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Holy Shit -- another CO2 record about to be set! Jehanne 10 1374 February 26, 2017 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  For those of you that like high and tight cuts brewer 12 1667 December 6, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  New vagus nerve stimulator to hit the market. It's set to music through headphones. brewer 4 1090 February 18, 2016 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Melanie's marvelous measles Jacob(smooth) 44 7862 February 9, 2015 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  Asian Rock Pool Mosquito migrates to Europe Something completely different 3 1156 July 30, 2013 at 8:20 am
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  They were able to record a thought being formed in a zebrafish. Annik 3 2084 February 1, 2013 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy