Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I cut back on salt since I have high blood pressure?
Should I cut back on salt since I have high blood pressure?
A few weeks ago, my doctor measured my blood pressure and heart rate. My blood pressure was 170/110 and my heart rate was 158 beats per minute. So, my doctor prescribed me a beta-blocker called Bisoprololfumarate and told me to cut back on salt.
Now, the evidence that beta-blockers are safe, if not beneficial, is overwhelming: I have read somewhere (I think it was on ScienceBasedMedicine) about a study that was preventatively giving beta-blockers to people without measuring their blood pressure (so, we can assume most of them had normal or even low blood pressure), and there turned out to be no difference in all-cause mortality between people who were receiving beta-blockers and people who were receiving placebo. So I started taking them.
However, I don't know how much science the recommendation to eat less salt is based on. I know WHO recommends people not to take more than 6 grams of salt per day, and that the standard American diet includes around twice that amount. However, there doesn't appear to be a correlation between salt intake and heart disease. For example, a typical Japanese diet includes around 40 grams of salt per day, yet Japanese have significantly lower mortality from heart disease than Americans do. And I really like salty food. So, what do you think, should I try to eat less salt?
RE: Should I cut back on salt since I have high blood pressure?
(December 26, 2023 at 4:20 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: A few weeks ago, my doctor measured my blood pressure and heart rate. My blood pressure was 170/110 and my heart rate was 158 beats per minute. So, my doctor prescribed me a beta-blocker called Bisoprololfumarate and told me to cut back on salt.
Now, the evidence that beta-blockers are safe, if not beneficial, is overwhelming: I have read somewhere (I think it was on ScienceBasedMedicine) about a study that was preventatively giving beta-blockers to people without measuring their blood pressure (so, we can assume most of them had normal or even low blood pressure), and there turned out to be no difference in all-cause mortality between people who were receiving beta-blockers and people who were receiving placebo. So I started taking them.
However, I don't know how much science the recommendation to eat less salt is based on. I know WHO recommends people not to take more than 6 grams of salt per day, and that the standard American diet includes around twice that amount. However, there doesn't appear to be a correlation between salt intake and heart disease. For example, a typical Japanese diet includes around 40 grams of salt per day, yet Japanese have significantly lower mortality from heart disease than Americans do. And I really like salty food. So, what do you think, should I try to eat less salt?

A high-salt diet is one of the risk factors for heart disease. Increased salt intake causes a sodium imbalance, which leads to fluid retention, which increases blood pressure. This is so well established that it’s pointless to argue it.

The other significant risk factor for heart disease is cholesterol. The reason that heart disease causes fewer deaths in Japan than in the US that the Japanese tend to have a lower cholesterol diet.

Will cutting back on salt help your blood pressure? Almost certainly. Will it guarantee that you don’t develop heart disease? No.

You’re conflating ‘high blood pressure’ with ‘heart disease’.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Maybe more sesame seeds will balance things out.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(December 26, 2023 at 5:15 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Maybe more sesame seeds will balance things out.

They will certainly help, but not alone. He'll need to supplement those sesame seeds with heme iron for any substantial benefit.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Why not ask your doctor? He is the one who trained in medicine
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(December 26, 2023 at 5:44 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Why not ask your doctor?  He is the one who trained in medicine

He was okay with the doctor prescribing a beta blocker but isn't so sure about reducing his salt consumption.

This guy is a troll who is pulling topics out of his ass.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

But surely a bunch of random people on the interwebs will know more than his doctor!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(December 26, 2023 at 6:35 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: But surely a bunch of random people on the interwebs will know more than his doctor!

IKR? Why take the word of a trained, credentialed scientist over that of a gaggle of nameless, faceless strangers?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 26, 2023 at 5:30 pm)Ravenshire Wrote:
(December 26, 2023 at 5:15 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Maybe more sesame seeds will balance things out.

They will certainly help, but not alone. He'll need to supplement those sesame seeds with heme iron for any substantial benefit.

Brace yourself - the p-values can’t be far behind.

Boru
(December 26, 2023 at 6:43 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 26, 2023 at 5:30 pm)Ravenshire Wrote: They will certainly help, but not alone. He'll need to supplement those sesame seeds with heme iron for any substantial benefit.

Brace yourself - the p-values can’t be far behind.

Boru

I think the 'p' stands for prison.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug Rebuttal To Creationists - "Since We Can't Directly Observe Evolution, It Never Happe QuackeryDetection 11 1331 May 14, 2022 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Imminent chances of societal collapse is sky high Foxaèr 28 1497 August 4, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Making and using acellular blood vessels, it's pretty damn cool! brewer 1 412 May 31, 2019 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Measles cases hit record high in Europe zebo-the-fat 13 1426 September 20, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Pregnant blood kills men! brewer 7 1107 October 26, 2017 at 7:15 am
Last Post: chimp3
  I need help on info regarding a rare blood disease yasalam 30 4698 February 1, 2017 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  For those of you that like high and tight cuts brewer 12 1684 December 6, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Blood... lifesagift 33 4197 October 14, 2014 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Turning blood into stem cells downbeatplumb 2 1576 January 29, 2014 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  Mouse cloned from a drop of blood CleanShavenJesus 12 3069 June 28, 2013 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: HAL9000