Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 27, 2024, 8:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims
RE: Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims
(June 7, 2021 at 9:39 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: Read up on totipotent cells. In humans, they are formed after fertilization, but BEFORE any one individual person becomes inevitable from the gestation process. I think they say something important about the issue. Whether you agree or disagree, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Here are my initial thoughts after a brief reading. I didn't realize that totipotent cells where stem cells, or that stem cells were categorized by potency. So totipotent cells in humans are what we call a zygote—the fertilized egg. (The first 4-8 divisions remain totipotent; which means a zygote can produce more zygotes if I understood correctly.)

Your initial question was: "How is fertilization (ie. the event that creates the collection of totipotent cells) responsible singly for any of these three potential lives?"

I think the simplest response is just to say that fertilization is the creation of a new organism/organisms (singular or plural). If two organisms arise from the same fertilized egg you would be having monozygotic twins. So I think that part of the equation doesn't change, fertilization is just creating more organisms when it comes to twins (I may amend this position later). But I think the issue at the root of your question has more to do with identity. There is a period of time during which there is one organism before there are two. And I think you're asking whether the identity of that organism is lost and replaced, or divided and shared, or perhaps even preserved and added to.

Amendment: I now think its better to say that fertilization creates a new organism (singular) but that cleavage can produce more (plural). This does not mean the act of cleavage cancels out fertilization. In other words, fertilization always produces a new organism, but with an asterisk that cleavage can then produce more.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims - by John 6IX Breezy - June 7, 2021 at 10:55 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 14772 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Jerry Falwell Jnr "not a christian" and wanted to prove himself to not be like Snr Pat Mustard 18 2088 November 1, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2928 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Why is Jesus in third place when he deserves first? Greatest I am 25 4828 September 22, 2020 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Did Mary and Joseph ever have sex? Fake Messiah 41 7771 March 18, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Did Jesus ever have a perm? Cod 32 4618 April 3, 2019 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 6554 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus decompose? Natachan 77 6645 March 26, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Jesus suffering vs eternal suffering of temporary sinners purplepurpose 72 9876 November 19, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 9100 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda