Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 6:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey Portland - you might get what you deserve.
RE: Hey Portland - you might get what you deserve.
(September 5, 2021 at 1:02 am)Helios Wrote:
Quote:"To be hating on trans people." Oh, now I see that you didn't mean hate literally. You meant it in the hip "why you being such a hater?" slang way. That's a little better I guess. At least you're not accusing me of literally committing a hate crime or some shit haha. Thanks for clearing that up.
No Dodgy

Quote:My bad about calling them protesters. Rioters then.
The Jan 6th right-wing nutters were a band of insurrectionists, not rioters.

Quote:I borrowed the grizzly bear line from Sam Harris. He says he sees people as grizzly bears. Tell me the difference in the level of free will between us and them, and I'll change my stance. If it doesn't make sense to hate a grizzly bear, then it follows that it also doesn't make sense to hate any human. We are merely the universe playing itself out. It's all just a movie, and our scripts are written for us. Of course you would interpret my comment there as me graduating from racist to now hating all humans because I compared us to another animal (by ripping off Sam Harris). Understanding that we lack free will actually helps people show more compassion towards people like the poor souls sitting there in prison because of their biology and environment. Understanding about a lack of free will can turn people against the death penalty, and make them more likely to want more livable conditions for prisoners. Seeing people as grizzly bears is actually a great thing and should make you more compassionate. Not the other way around.
No, it isn't a good way of seeing people. It's totally dehumanizing even if hard determinism is true (which it's not)

Ok. Insurrectionists is fine. The media is still blowing it a hundred times out of proportion though. One cop died. The sky is falling. Boo hoo. It sucked and was a bad day, but the media's job is to blow it a hundred times out of proportion to manufacture consent to give the white supremacist police and surveillance states the powers they've always wanted.

There is a mix of randomness thrown in there with what decisions our brains make, so not completely deterministic, but if you have any actual evidence for free will, I'd be glad to hear it. I've never found this evidence before, and I've looked for it for many hours and watched many debates on the subject. No one ever presented any real evidence to the contrary.

We are animals. Deal with it. Our brains all follow the laws of the universe we're living, human and animal alike. There isn't something extra special or magical in our brains called free will.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hey Portland - you might get what you deserve. - by Irreligious Atheist - September 5, 2021 at 1:51 am
RE: Hey Portland - you might get what you deserve. - by Mermaid - September 5, 2021 at 12:25 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey Florida people!!!! arewethereyet 22 1864 September 29, 2022 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Portland, Oregon And Dublin Ireland: A Lesson BrianSoddingBoru4 31 1840 July 23, 2020 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Girls Vs. Boys: Brain Differences Might Explain Tech Behaviors EgoDeath 25 1850 September 26, 2019 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Robert Reich: "We might be heading for a crash as bad as 1929" Aegon 10 1169 September 13, 2018 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  I just might have to buy this book. brewer 6 633 September 5, 2018 at 8:08 am
Last Post: John V
  Hey Trumptards - Enjoy Your Sore Assholes Minimalist 60 7161 May 19, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I Wonder When The Bar Will Get Low Enough For The Deplorables to Get In? Minimalist 12 1372 May 17, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Hey. Remember This? Minimalist 0 348 April 12, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  man thinks gay lions learnt it from humans and deserve counselling Aoi Magi 30 3044 November 4, 2017 at 1:00 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Hey, Alabama Minimalist 4 469 October 9, 2017 at 12:05 am
Last Post: vorlon13